Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Working On Direct3D 12 Video Acceleration For Mesa

Phoronix: Microsoft Working On Direct3D 12 Video Acceleration For Mesa

Microsoft's latest work in the area of open-source graphics drivers with the Mesa stack is for adding Direct3D 12 video acceleration support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pleasant surprise, at least it's not all take (and no give) for Microsoft.

This sounds like decently good news. I'm gonna subscribe to the thread so I can get replies on why it's not.

edit: Good replies below. MS still bad.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 22 November 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

This sounds like decently good news. I'm gonna subscribe to the thread so I can get replies on why it's not.
      It only works on windows, can't be actually used on bare metal linux

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

It only works on windows, can't be actually used on bare metal linux
        Are you sure?? I hope not. Regardless, it's still better than nothing and a step in the right direction. Progress isn't a straight line or the shortest path or the path of least resistance. So, I'll wait to hear more but that would be disappointing if true, but still better than nothing.

Comment

Are you sure?? I hope not. Regardless, it's still better than nothing and a step in the right direction. Progress isn't a straight line or the shortest path or the path of least resistance. So, I'll wait to hear more but that would be disappointing if true, but still better than nothing.
          Code delivered is code that can be improved, open source code delivered is code everyone can improve.

Comment

Are you sure??
            Yes. This is the code for their WSL to run GUI and computation apps on Linux.

Comment

I'm not sure, but i won't be surprised if that's the case. Maybe phoronix knows something about this?

I'll just stick around for a while here

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                Yes. This is the code for their WSL to run GUI and computation apps on Linux.
                Yes, very good to bring up the intention for the code. But published code everyone has access to can help other projects utilize (change and manipulate) this code. Obviously, garbage code will always be garbage but improvements solves that (fundamentally).
                Last edited by Sethox; 22 November 2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

The "why it's not" is that this is sort of the opposite of things like DXVK or Gallium-Nine in that the goal here is to translate Linux Vulkan and OpenGL over to DX12 so WLS2 programs running on Windows have 3D acceleration. Not that any of that is actually a bad thing, it's just not necessarily a good thing for the Linux desktop ecosystem because it allows running our programs on the competition's desktop which gives people less reasons to use an actual Linux desktop to run Linux programs.

Comment

Yes, this is being made strictly for WSLg, which already have GPU acceleration and D3D12 support, but requires their proxy and signed Windows GPU driver. They're adding VA-API/VDPAU support for video acceleration to make it feature complete.

I don't mind honestly, but they're not actually giving anything back yet. Maybe when they'll need some functionalities withing the ecosystem that are lacking (Wayland protocols? Toolkit features? General Mesa code?), they'll maaaaybe help, but let's be realistic... Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                    X