Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental Zink On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver Capable Of Outperforming OpenGL Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Zink On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver Capable Of Outperforming OpenGL Driver

Phoronix: Experimental Zink On NVIDIA's Vulkan Driver Capable Of Outperforming OpenGL Driver

The latest Zink development code paired with the forthcoming "Copper" work is yielding an OpenGL-on-Vulkan implementation that when running on NVIDIA's proprietary Vulkan driver is even able to outperform NVIDIA's own proprietary OpenGL driver for at least one notable Linux game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I always said that this can be faster than native implementation.

Comment

Wow, this is massive. Great job, Blumenkrantz

Comment

Very impressive!!! But still no Nouveau Vulkan, blame you Nvidia

Comment

No doubt Zink can outperform the Nvidia OpenGL implementation, it always quite sucked in terms of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            it always quite sucked in terms of speed.
            Except it is much faster than any other OGL driver but RadeonSI and existed way before the latter. Thanks for making me laugh though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              No doubt Zink can outperform the Nvidia OpenGL implementation, it always quite sucked in terms of speed.
              It's always been roughly on par with their performance on Windows, I'm not sure how that equates to "quite sucked in terms of speed".

Comment

micheal
                Following the recent achievements around Zink / Copper and getting Wayland's Weston running atop the experimental code, he shared that with NVIDIA's proprietary driver stack this is a big improvement.
                At the top, there is no introduction of who "he" is prior to the quoted (even though regulars have a pretty good idea).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's always been roughly on par with their performance on Windows, I'm not sure how that equates to "quite sucked in terms of speed".
                  Not to mention NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation has been the de-facto standard for the past two decades. And it's been a lot faster and efficient than AMD's or Intel's.

Comment

You guys are all wrong, Nvidia OpenGL sucks, and we can't confirm it because there's no proper open-source driver to compare

Comment

Working...
                    X