Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Can Finally Render glxgears With Great Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Can Finally Render glxgears With Great Speed

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Can Finally Render glxgears With Great Speed

While the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan code within Mesa is close to OpenGL 4.6 conformant and running many OpenGL games at good performance, it's taken until now to see good performance out of the glxgears benchmark...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Off-topic, but have you guys noticed XWayland on Ubuntu is not executing scripts in /etc/profile.d? Works in Xorg. Any ideas why that is?

Comment

Having experience programming both OpenGL and Vulkan I bow deeply and tip my hat to Blumenkrantz and other Zink contributors. This work involves translation between two very different paradigms. The fact that it even works is impressive. The fact that at this early stage of development it can run some games at decent speeds is awe-inspiring. In the future Zink will be immensely useful for preserving older software. Awesome show, great job!

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Off-topic, but have you guys noticed XWayland on Ubuntu is not executing scripts in /etc/profile.d? Works in Xorg. Any ideas why that is?
        XWayland is not supposed to execute scripts in /etc/profile.d, it has no relation to the concept whatsoever. It's about the same as asking why a new build of Weston doesn't detect your network printers.
        Last edited by intelfx; 12 November 2021, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

XWayland is not supposed to execute scripts in /etc/profile.d, it has no relation to the concept whatsoever. It's about the same as asking why a new build of Weston doesn't detect your network printers.
          I see, thanks for the info. Is there a preferred Wayland-way of setting system-wide environment variables?

Comment

I see, thanks for the info. Is there a preferred Wayland-way of setting system-wide environment variables?
            You can edit /etc/environment
            If your DE supports it, you can edit /etc/environment.d/ to include your own environment file

For more detailed info tho you should google it

Comment

You're kinda missing the point. XWayland is nothing but a compatibility daemon translating between two protocols. It's a program with a very narrow scope and lifetime, it can't and doesn't have any notion of “profile scripts” whatsoever.

Now onto the actual question.

Reading and executing your profile scripts is the job of the session leader/manager — the thing that sits between your DM and the rest of your graphical environment (graphics server, compositor, WM or DE). In X11-based sessions, the X server is typically launched from a shell script and the whole session startup process is generally shell-based, hence it also reads /etc/profile because why not.

With Wayland, the session startup process of all major DEs became more rigid and doesn't contain any shell anymore, and I guess the whole /etc/profile thing just fell by the wayside. (It's still not a job of X.org, nor Xwayland, nor Wayland.)

It’s kinda unfortunate and is a definite design blunder, but what you can do is use pam_env.so — if you have it, you can use it via /etc/environment or ~/.pam_environment. Note that it's not a script, just a simple text file with KEY=VALUE pairs.
              Last edited by intelfx; 12 November 2021, 04:13 AM.

Comment

loligans intelfx that was helpful, thx. And yeah, the KEY=VALUE pairs is what I ultimately want.

edit: ~/.pam_environment worked a charm. Thanks again.
                Last edited by perpetually high; 12 November 2021, 04:11 AM.

Comment

oh cool, i didn't know phoronix comments were such a great place for random support questions.
                  Any idea why google-chrome/electron apps make opengl on radeon turks slow down and eventually freeze (mesa 21.2.5 / linux 5.14) ?

Comment

Seeing this is a support thread now so:

Anyone know why a user created with systemd-homed is requiring me to input my password twice?

Comment

Working...
                    X