Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.3-rc5 Released With Numerous Intel / AMD / Zink Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 21.3-rc5 Released With Numerous Intel / AMD / Zink Fixes

The Mesa 21.3 development cycle continues dragging on due to blocker bugs affecting the Intel code, so instead it's another week with a new release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the story with Intel Vulkan implementation being called "anv"? Wouldn't "inv" make more sense? I missed the history behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What's the story with Intel Vulkan implementation being called "anv"? Wouldn't "inv" make more sense? I missed the history behind it.
      AFAIK, it's a play on words with vulkan.

Vulkan => Forge => Anvil

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Wow. If you enter the conversation of the stupid naming within Mesa, you are trapped for the next 10 years.

The driver should be called:

amdvk, intvk, nvivk, quavk, brovk…

amdgl, intgl, nvigl, quagl, brogl…

cpuvk for lavapipe, cpugl for llvmpipe…

The 3 first letter of the manufacturer/base as the prefix then the classic 2 letters for the type. That is CLEAN, unique enough for search reasons, and easy to figure out, unlike the current situation that is a total mess.

…but no they invent an heterogeneous messy name for every case instead.
        Last edited by rmfx; 11 November 2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Wow. If you enter the conversation of the stupid naming within Mesa, you are trapped for the next 10 years.

The driver should be called:

amdvk, intvk, nvivk, quavk, brovk…

amdgl, intgl, nvigl, quagl, brogl…

cpuvk for lavapipe, cpugl for llvmpipe…

The 3 first letter of the manufacturer/base as the prefix then the classic 2 letters for the type. That is CLEAN, unique enough for search reasons, and easy to figure out, unlike the current situation that is a total mess.

…but no they invent an heterogeneous messy name for every case instead.
          Except there's multiple CPU drivers, and multiple drivers for the same vendor.

Comment

I hope that in the next 10 years,
            Support for VP9/MPEG4 decode acceleration be added to support AMD { Southern Islands | Sea Islands | Volcanic Islands }...

I am using vaapi, and vainfo only reports this on my kavery APU:
            Code:
            libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
            libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
            libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_10
            libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
            vainfo: VA-API version: 1.10 (libva 2.10.0)
            vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-8-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1)
            vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
            VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
            VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
            VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
            VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
            I am on debian 11, I don't know if the problem is with vaapi of with mesa, but probably a bit of both..
            Does any one is suffering from the same problem?.. youtube videos are consuming me 1 core for basic quality..
            Last edited by tuxd3v; 11 November 2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I hope that in the next 10 years,
              Support for VP9/MPEG4 decode acceleration be added to support AMD { Southern Islands | Sea Islands | Volcanic Islands }...

I am using vaapi, and vainfo only reports this on my kavery APU:
              Code:
              libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
              libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
              libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_10
              libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
              vainfo: VA-API version: 1.10 (libva 2.10.0)
              vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-8-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1)
              vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
              VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
              VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
              VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
              VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
              I am on debian 11, I don't know if the problem is with vaapi of with mesa, but probably a bit of both..
              Does any one is suffering from the same problem?.. youtube videos are consuming me 1 core for basic quality..
              The VPU of my Radeon R9 380 (Volcanic Islands) can't decode the VP9 codec hardware-wise, however H.264 with VA-API on mpv + yt-dlp is no problem at all [Ubuntu 20.04 LTS based distros].

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                The VPU of my Radeon R9 380 (Volcanic Islands) can't decode the VP9 codec hardware-wise, however H.264 with VA-API on mpv + yt-dlp is no problem at all [Ubuntu 20.04 LTS based distros].
                I believe GCN2.0 and above can do that..even cards prior to GCN1.0 have for example MPEG4 acceleration, cards like Radeon HD 4000 series
                At least we should get MPEG4..
                are you telling me that only GCN3.0 and above have vp9 decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  I believe GCN2.0 and above can do that..even cards prior to GCN1.0 have for example MPEG4 acceleration, cards like Radeon HD 4000 series
                  At least we should get MPEG4..
                  are you telling me that only GCN3.0 and above have vp9 decoding?
                  VP9 came with 4th gen GCN (Polaris), and even then it was just a hybrid decoder for VP9 profile 0. Full hardware support didn't come until VCN (Raven Ridge APUs and Navi GPUs).

If by MPEG4 you mean MPEG-4 Part 2 Visual, that is supported by the your hardware, but is indeed not properly supported by VA-API (presumably because Intel Quick-Sync doesn't support it). A hacky workaround can be enabled with VAAPI_MPEG4_ENABLED=true (according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Har...VA-API_drivers and https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/VideoAcceleration.html).

But I agree, it would be nice if they added proper MPEG-4 support for VAAPI.
                  Last edited by LinAGKar; 12 November 2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                    VP9 came with 4th gen GCN (Polaris), and even then it was just a hybrid decoder for VP9 profile 0. Full hardware support didn't come until VCN (Raven Ridge APUs and Navi GPUs).

If by MPEG4 you mean MPEG-4 Part 2 Visual, that is supported by the your hardware, but is indeed not properly supported by VA-API (presumably because Intel Quick-Sync doesn't support it). A hacky workaround can be enabled with VAAPI_MPEG4_ENABLED=true (according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Har...VA-API_drivers and https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/VideoAcceleration.html).

But I agree, it would be nice if they added proper MPEG-4 support for VAAPI.
                    Many thanks for the explanation,
                    Its always a mess with names and versions to find the exact hardware that had X or Y features..
                    I see, its even worst than what I thought,
                    For us, vp9 will be always sluggish..

I agree they should add proper support for MPEG4 in VAAPI..

Comment

Working...
                    X