Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 21.3 RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Ray-Tracing Support For Older AMD Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.3 RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Ray-Tracing Support For Older AMD Radeon GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa 21.3 RADV Vulkan Driver Lands Ray-Tracing Support For Older AMD Radeon GPUs

Mesa 21.3 recently landed RADV ray-tracing support for this open-source Radeon Vulkan driver with RDNA2 graphics processors. Now the software-based/emulated Vulkan ray-tracing support has been merged for handling pre-RDNA2 GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news! Thanks to Linux driver support, I've also got resizable BAR enabled and working with an AMD Radeon VII (Vega 20) card -- which is a setup that will probably never be supported on Windows.

I assume at least part of the reason AMD doesn't enable these features on the Windows side is because of driver certification requirements? Or maybe it's just easier for Linux drivers to enable certain hardware features if they're available?

Comment

Ok ..I know what I'm going to do later

Comment

Originally posted by Quidnam View Post
        Good news! Thanks to Linux driver support, I've also got resizable BAR enabled and working with an AMD Radeon VII (Vega 20) card -- which is a setup that will probably never be supported on Windows.

I assume at least part of the reason AMD doesn't enable these features on the Windows side is because of driver certification requirements? Or maybe it's just easier for Linux drivers to enable certain hardware features if they're available?
        They probably just want to sell newer cards rather than give old cards they don't sell anymore more features.

Anyway, it will be interesting to test this on my Radeon VII too.

Comment

Originally posted by Quidnam View Post
          I assume at least part of the reason AMD doesn't enable these features on the Windows side is because of driver certification requirements?
          They might say that, but it's of course rather nonsensical. I had reduced CPU bound performance in RDR2 and Hitman 2 on Windows with SAM on an RX 6800, so what's the point of locking out users when also "certified" GPUs might have issues in at least some games...
          Question is also if RADV does anything differently regarding SAM with pre-Navi GPUs. Probably not, and I assume it just works regardless...
          Last edited by aufkrawall; 04 October 2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

With something like resizable BAR, I wonder how viable it would be to use a 2nd GPU just for RT calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              With something like resizable BAR, I wonder how viable it would be to use a 2nd GPU just for RT calculations.
              This would probably be futile with PCIe bandwidth, as realtime RT is highly dependent on temporal data like previous frames etc.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                They might say that, but it's of course rather nonsensical. I had reduced CPU bound performance in RDR2 and Hitman 2 on Windows with SAM on an RX 6800, so what's the point of locking out users when also "certified" GPUs might have issues in at least some games...
                Question is also if RADV does anything differently regarding SAM with pre-Navi GPUs. Probably not, and I assume it just works regardless...
                I want SAM on windows as much as the next guy, but don't forget the sheer levels of jankery that windows has exhibited before. I would not be surprised if AMD decided it isn't worth potential buggyness, and make no mistake with something like resizable bar. there is a LOT of potential for buggyness.

I find no surprise that AMD has elected to make sure it sticks with supported ecosystem. of course resizable bar on my ryzen 5 1600, and RX 580 works on Linux. But there's a degree of quality I associate with the Linux caramel that I don't with the Windows kernel.

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense, to have RT working performant on RT cards first?
                  So that people can use RT on cards like a RX 6800 properly.

Just asking

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                    Wouldn't it make more sense, to have RT working performant on RT cards first?
                    So that people can use RT on cards like a RX 6800 properly.

Just asking
                    One thing have no relation to the other and may not even be done by the same developers, remember this is FOSS which means there is no central authority telling developers what goes and in what order. I mean i can come with a patch to lower the precision of raytracing calculations so my RX470 can have more RT performance at the cost of quality because that is the hardware i have and what i wanna do and it would be completely unrelated to Valve/AMD plans since all i need is Mesa to accept my patch not Valve/AMD.

Understand now?

Comment

Working...
                    X