Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft's "CLOn12" Mesa Code Adds SPIR/SPIR-V Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft's "CLOn12" Mesa Code Adds SPIR/SPIR-V Support

    Phoronix: Microsoft's "CLOn12" Mesa Code Adds SPIR/SPIR-V Support

    Microsoft's "CLOn12" effort to allow OpenCL over DirectX 12 by leveraging Mesa now has landed a major rework to its code within Mesa...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...12-Mesa-SPIR-V

  • #2
    What are the implications of this for the Linux community? Will this, in the future, allow for OpenCL atop Vulkan?

    Comment


    • #3
      CLOn12 over vkd3d?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post
        What are the implications of this for the Linux community? Will this, in the future, allow for OpenCL atop Vulkan?
        My understanding is that this will help improve support for OpenGL/Vulkan and OpenCL on WSL2 platforms.

        It doesn't change how Vulkan currently works.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
          My understanding is that this will help improve support for OpenGL/Vulkan and OpenCL on WSL2 platforms.
          Windows 11 will be able to run Android apps so maybe it has something to do with that, like it uses Android in WSL2 and need this for running Android apps on Windows through WSL2.

          Comment


          • #6
            OpenCL over Mesa over DirectX sounds extremely inefficient.

            I don't see what is stopping Microsoft from doing OpenCL directly over DirectX.

            Comment


            • #7
              CLOn12, seems like "clonis" in leet writing.

              Do they want to clone Linux?

              Comment


              • #8
                The split of graphics APIs.
                '90's? VIC, VIC-II, ANTIC/CTIA/GTIA, CGA/EGA/VGA, 2C02, OCS/ECS/AGA, etc.
                2010's? DirectX, OpenGL. Simple as that.
                2020's? DirectX 11, DirectX 12, OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal...

                Whatever happened to "Vulkan is cross-platform"?
                Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 02:30 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  OpenCL over Mesa over DirectX sounds extremely inefficient.

                  I don't see what is stopping Microsoft from doing OpenCL directly over DirectX.
                  Isn't that exactly what this does? Mesa is just the implementation of CL, and it's done directly over DirectX.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                    Isn't that exactly what this does? Mesa is just the implementation of CL, and it's done directly over DirectX.
                    Mesa has OpenCL?

                    There is no libOpenCL.so anywhere in my Mesa builds.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X