Experimenting Is Underway For Rust Code Within Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    Mozilla engineers tried to make Firefox multithreaded and it was close to impossible without introducing regressions/bugs/security issues and thats actually why they created Rust.
    mozilla engineers are not very good at c++, that's why they had to invent something else. and 15 years later we see it didn't help mozilla, it's still the worst browser
    Last edited by pal666; 19 September 2021, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
      That concurrency is generally not a problem in sw development, and that there is no need to try and do anything about it?
      maybe his point is that there are many problems in sw development and "let's rewrite in rust" is usually not a solution to any of them?
      Last edited by pal666; 18 September 2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

on topic: i wonder why nobody investigated how c++ code could be used within mesa. by "investigated" i mean "showed how to do it properly"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          just as go was designed as a c++ alternative. but designers weren't c++ programmers and didn't know what c++ programmers need. in reality there's only one c++ alternative: next c++ version
          Right. The designers of Rust from Mozilla who have been managing several C++ codebases of dozens of millions of lines of code each don't know what C++ programmers need. Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Right. The designers of Rust from Mozilla who have been managing several C++ codebases of dozens of millions of lines of code each don't know what C++ programmers need. Of course.
            right. mozilla used some abomination instead of c++. it's a common theme btw: you fail at c++, then you need rust

Comment

right. mozilla used some abomination instead of c++. it's a common theme btw: you fail at c++, then you need rust
              If you fail at C++, you fail at C++. It's only when you have been using C++ for years and get understand all its inherent problems, then you fully appreciate Rust.

But since you know better, go and tell Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, the Linux kernel developers, Mesa developers and everyone else who is interested in Rust that they have it all wrong and that they should have asked you instead.

Comment

If you fail at C++, you fail at C++. It's only when you have been using C++ for years and get understand all its inherent problems, then you fully appreciate Rust.
                did you fail at c++ for years? i fully appreciated rust when i saw its standard library functions copypasted for tuples of up to 12 elements.
                But since you know better, go and tell Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, the Linux kernel developers, Mesa developers and everyone else who is interested in Rust that they have it all wrong and that they should have asked you instead.
                all those developers are using c++(but not everyone is good at it and it's true for any language and any profession). btw, rust creator is working at apple on swift in c++. there are some people at those companies who are interested in rust. but there are much more people there who are interested in python, java, c#, swift, php or go. so who should tell whom what?
                Last edited by pal666; 19 September 2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  These days, AAA games often take more than 6 years to develop.
                  all major engines are open sourced. so how many lines of rust rewrite they produced in the past 6 years?

Comment

did you fail at c++ for years? i fully appreciated rust when i saw its standard library functions copypasted for tuples of up to 12 elements.
                    all those developers are using c++(but not everyone is good at it and it's true for any language and any profession). btw, rust creator is working at apple on swift in c++. there are some people at those companies who are interested in rust. but there are much more people there who are interested in python, java, c#, swift, php or go. so who should tell whom what?
                    You are missing the point. It's not about being "good at C++" - the people behing Rust as well as the others abive are unquestionably among the most experienced C++ developers around. The elephant in the room is provability. The world has seen enough of those self-proclaimed "good programmers" and we know the kind of code they spill out.

Comment

the people behing Rust as well as the others abive are unquestionably among the most experienced C++ developers around.
                      you have a few typos there which complicate parsing, but nevertheless, i find your unquestionability questionable. most experienced c++ programmers wouldn't leave out variadic templates
                      The world has seen enough of those self-proclaimed "good programmers" and we know the kind of code they spill out.
                      the world has seen enough rust hype and we know with rust mozilla still produces the worst browser. and as i mentioned, even rust author switched to working on swift in c++. c++ author works in c++ on c++ four decades or so
                      Last edited by pal666; 19 September 2021, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X