X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you have a few typos there which complicate parsing, but nevertheless, i find your unquestionability questionable. most experienced c++ programmers wouldn't leave out variadic templates
    There is an RFC for variadic templates, they are coming eventually. The pressure, however, is low because of the very nice macro support of the language. In today's rust, std::make_unique ( the go-to example for variadic templates) would be implemented as a macro.

and as i mentioned, even rust author switched to working on swift in c++. c++ author works in c++ on c++ four decades or so
    You make it sound as if he doesnt like or contribute to rust any more. Let him speak for himself:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/commen...uthor_of_rust/

To sum it up: he's still contributing, but left leading positions (and thus Mozilla) after burn-out. Clearly, the rust inventor cannot work on rust in a non-leading position at his employer. Thus, he switched to Apple to work on Swift (which he also likes) in a non-leading position. Obviously, swift is not written in rust. Thus, he's not using it at his day job. End of story.

Clearly, it makes no sense to rewrite code, which is fine, in rust. All these recent news were about using rust alongside existing code.
    Last edited by oleid; 19 September 2021, 02:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    you have a few typos there which complicate parsing, but nevertheless, i find your unquestionability questionable. most experienced c++ programmers wouldn't leave out variadic templates
    Being an experienced C++ developer is not measured by how many obscure features of the language you use. There are well-known issues with variadic templates that make a strong case for leaving them out. Rust on the other hand has them in the form of declarative macros, except that they are type-safe and memory-safe.

the world has seen enough rust hype and we know with rust mozilla still produces the worst browser. and as i mentioned, even rust author switched to working on swift in c++. c++ author works in c++ on c++ four decades or so
    C co-creator Ken Thompson is now at Google working on Go so that makes C a total failure, right? A successful project becomes greater than a one-man show. If Stroustrup never moved on beyond C++ that indicates nothing as to the intrinsic qualities or lack thereof of C++ itself, only that he still likes working on C++.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    the people behing Rust as well as the others abive are unquestionably among the most experienced C++ developers around.
    The world has seen enough of those self-proclaimed "good programmers" and we know the kind of code they spill out.
    the world has seen enough rust hype and we know with rust mozilla still produces the worst browser. and as i mentioned, even rust author switched to working on swift in c++. c++ author works in c++ on c++ four decades or so
    Last edited by pal666; 19 September 2021, 01:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    did you fail at c++ for years? i fully appreciated rust when i saw its standard library functions copypasted for tuples of up to 12 elements.
    all those developers are using c++(but not everyone is good at it and it's true for any language and any profession). btw, rust creator is working at apple on swift in c++. there are some people at those companies who are interested in rust. but there are much more people there who are interested in python, java, c#, swift, php or go. so who should tell whom what?
    You are missing the point. It's not about being "good at C++" - the people behing Rust as well as the others abive are unquestionably among the most experienced C++ developers around. The elephant in the room is provability. The world has seen enough of those self-proclaimed "good programmers" and we know the kind of code they spill out.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    These days, AAA games often take more than 6 years to develop.
    all major engines are open sourced. so how many lines of rust rewrite they produced in the past 6 years?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    If you fail at C++, you fail at C++. It's only when you have been using C++ for years and get understand all its inherent problems, then you fully appreciate Rust.
    did you fail at c++ for years? i fully appreciated rust when i saw its standard library functions copypasted for tuples of up to 12 elements.
    But since you know better, go and tell Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, the Linux kernel developers, Mesa developers and everyone else who is interested in Rust that they have it all wrong and that they should have asked you instead.
    all those developers are using c++(but not everyone is good at it and it's true for any language and any profession). btw, rust creator is working at apple on swift in c++. there are some people at those companies who are interested in rust. but there are much more people there who are interested in python, java, c#, swift, php or go. so who should tell whom what?
    Last edited by pal666; 19 September 2021, 01:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    right. mozilla used some abomination instead of c++. it's a common theme btw: you fail at c++, then you need rust
    If you fail at C++, you fail at C++. It's only when you have been using C++ for years and get understand all its inherent problems, then you fully appreciate Rust.

But since you know better, go and tell Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, the Linux kernel developers, Mesa developers and everyone else who is interested in Rust that they have it all wrong and that they should have asked you instead.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Right. The designers of Rust from Mozilla who have been managing several C++ codebases of dozens of millions of lines of code each don't know what C++ programmers need. Of course.
    right. mozilla used some abomination instead of c++. it's a common theme btw: you fail at c++, then you need rust

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    just as go was designed as a c++ alternative. but designers weren't c++ programmers and didn't know what c++ programmers need. in reality there's only one c++ alternative: next c++ version
    Right. The designers of Rust from Mozilla who have been managing several C++ codebases of dozens of millions of lines of code each don't know what C++ programmers need. Of course.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    on topic: i wonder why nobody investigated how c++ code could be used within mesa. by "investigated" i mean "showed how to do it properly"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X