Mesa Lands Option That Can Help XWayland-Based Gaming On The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Lands Option That Can Help XWayland-Based Gaming On The Steam Deck

Phoronix: Mesa Lands Option That Can Help XWayland-Based Gaming On The Steam Deck

Mesa 21.3 today landed a debug option that can help with the XWayland-based gaming performance around latency and for power management as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this smells like a feature that gnome dev will be ignoring and refused to add and kde dev will add after they 6 years when they done with the mobile system aka android alternative and make more 6 images/PDF viewers and 9 text editor from scratch

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      this smells like a feature that gnome dev will be ignoring and refused to add and kde dev will add after they 6 years when they done with the mobile system aka android alternative and make more 6 images/PDF viewers and 9 text editor from scratch
      It's a driconf flag. Maybe you should just set it yourself and stop bitching.

Comment

I'm 99% sure Steam Deck will run on top of Xorg, and lots of users will actually install Windows on it (Valve said Windows would be fully supported) because there will be close to zero compatibility issues and no performance loss due to API translation.
        Last edited by birdie; 14 September 2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

It will run on top of Gamescope https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            I'm 99% sure Steam Deck will run on top of Xorg, and lots of users will actually install Windows on it (Valve said Windows would be fully supported) because there will be close to zero compatibility issues and no performance loss due to API translation.
            Literally all of their marketing material - and in-use pictures and videos from when media has had hands on - show it running on Wayland. (you can see some of the remaining bugs and the placeholder XWayland icon in the tray when they show desktop mode)

I wouldn't at all be surprised if SteamOS 3 ships without an X server entirely, and just supports XWayland.

Comment

AFAIK, by default games launched from the console-like UI will run within the Gamescope compositor, so XWayland. When it comes to the desktop mode, they want to go Wayland (I saw a comment by said Valve developer who made Gamescope), but that depends on what shape Plasma will be in. If there will be some remaining issues, they'll use X11 session at least for some time, but they might eventually switch the default session later on. I tested Plasma on Wayland and while not perfect, it is definitely getting its robustness. Especially that KDE presented PoC around KWin reconnecting to running clients while crashing/being killed.
              Last edited by bple2137; 14 September 2021, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Literally all of their marketing material - and in-use pictures and videos from when media has had hands on - show it running on Wayland. (you can see some of the remaining bugs and the placeholder XWayland icon in the tray when they show desktop mode)

I wouldn't at all be surprised if SteamOS 3 ships without an X server entirely, and just supports XWayland.
                So, XWayland it is - it's quite unexpected but maybe maybe something about Wayland works better for games.

Comment

So, XWayland it is - it's quite unexpected but maybe maybe something about Wayland works better for games.
                  Plagman said that Wayland is better because of the lower overhead. But the games will run mostly on XWayland.

Seems like they'll use Xorg for the desktop session, tho.

Comment

Using wayland is quite necessary because it allows the compositor to be in full control of games. With x11 games can easily mess up the environment (grab input, modify display settings etc.).

Comment

Working...
                    X