Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Fixes Up Support For Another Game

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Fixes Up Support For Another Game

Going from ~11 FPS to ~602 FPS for an open-source game marks the latest work on Zink for OpenGL atop Vulkan within Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's incredible. If my math is not wrong, that's a 5500% improvement. Might be a new world record.

Comment

Tesseract was a pretty cool game project, it had only one or two very small maps and maybe one weapon I think but it had pretty good graphics and had great performance. It's too bad the developer didn't continue with it, or that anything happened with it such as other developers joining. It was promising and interesting.

It is good that this fix will likely benefit other games and applications too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Tesseract was a pretty cool game project, it had only one or two very small maps and maybe one weapon I think but it had pretty good graphics and had great performance. It's too bad the developer didn't continue with it, or that anything happened with it such as other developers joining. It was promising and interesting.

It is good that this fix will likely benefit other games and applications too.
        The game Red Eclipse 2.0 is based on the Tesseract engine. I also heard about 1 or 2 less known games that are based on the Tesseract engine (I forgot their names).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

The game Red Eclipse 2.0 is based on the Tesseract engine. I also heard about 1 or 2 less known games that are based on the Tesseract engine (I forgot their names).
          Thanks, I will definitely look into this!

If you recall the names of other games, please mention them!

The last commit to Tesseract was just some days ago, but it just one single developer and it is very few commits, they're very small with long time between them.

Comment

does amd apu has vulkan extensions missing cause on my 4500u i get
            Code:
            MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxgears -info
            WARNING: Some incorrect rendering might occur because the selected Vulkan device (AMD RADV RENOIR) doesn't support base Zink requirements: feats.features.alphaToOne line_rast_feats.rectangularLines line_rast_feats.smoothLines line_rast_feats.stippledRectangularLines line_rast_feats.stippledBresenhamLines line_rast_feats.stippledSmoothLines

Comment

Now that will be interesting to see a new Zink benchmark with the same tests, after debug pass.

Such a low perf could only be a bug anyway. I am not surprised to see the new perf results.

Where Zink will shine is by having none of these in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                does amd apu has vulkan extensions missing cause on my 4500u i get
                Code:
                MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxgears -info
                WARNING: Some incorrect rendering might occur because the selected Vulkan device (AMD RADV RENOIR) doesn't support base Zink requirements: feats.features.alphaToOne line_rast_feats.rectangularLines line_rast_feats.smoothLines line_rast_feats.stippledRectangularLines line_rast_feats.stippledBresenhamLines line_rast_feats.stippledSmoothLines
                Get similar on my machine. RX480:

Code:
                $ MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxgears -info
                WARNING: Some incorrect rendering might occur because the selected Vulkan device (AMD RADV POLARIS10) doesn't support base Zink requirements: feats.features.alphaToOne line_rast_feats.rectangularLines line_rast_feats.smoothLines line_rast_feats.stippledRectangularLines line_rast_feats.stippledSmoothLines
                Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
                approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
                GL_RENDERER = zink (AMD RADV POLARIS10)
                GL_VERSION = 3.0 Mesa 21.2.1 - kisak-mesa PPA
                GL_VENDOR = Collabora Ltd
                GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multisample GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_copy_texture
                VisualID 1315, 0x523
                726 frames in 5.0 seconds = 145.024 FPS
                ^C

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I just tried this Red Eclipse 2.0, it is quite nice!
                  I can run it on medium with my Intel 4770K Haswell integrated graphics, I wish I had a better computer so I could try it on Ultra graphics. It's pretty cool and the map editor is ridiculously simply to use and very newbie friendly!

It seems the Tesseract guy is working on Red Eclipse 2.0 now, Michael should use Red Eclipse 2.0for his benchmarks.
                  There is also this game Tomatenquark which might also be based on the Tesseract engine, but I am not sure, it might be the old Cube 2 engine too.

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, because it didn't work on my Linux install, but I'll try it with Windows.
                  A community homage to Cube2: Sauerbraten

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It seems the Tesseract guy is working on Red Eclipse 2.0 now, Michael should use Red Eclipse 2.0for his benchmarks.
                    There is also this game Tomatenquark which might also be based on the Tesseract engine, but I am not sure, it might be the old Cube 2 engine too.

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, because it didn't work on my Linux install, but I'll try it with Windows.
                    Interesting, I thought Red Eclipse 2.0 is being developed mainly by one developer (his name is Quinton Reeves) and AFAIK, he's not affiliated with the Tesseract engine.

How does Tesseract itself run on your iGPU compared to Red Eclipse 2.0? The latter feels somewhat more demanding compared to Tesseract even on my RX 580.

It seems Tomatenquark is based on the old Cube 2 engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X