Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zink Mesa 21.3-dev Benchmarks - Increasingly Capable Of Running OpenGL Games Atop Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cytomax55
    replied
    I understand zink is to run opengl on devices that only support vulkan but what are some examples of devices that only support vulkan and not opengl

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied
    To the haters who criticize Zink while still in dev branch… seriously?? You know hour long it takes to write and optimize gpu drivers?

I basically run as fast / half speed / 10 percent speeed. That’s means fully working / slight bottleneck / big bottleneck.

I am sure that will change a lot in the coming months.

Leave a comment:

• Black_Fox
    replied
    Thanks for the benchmarks! I started the article with low gaming FPS expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Then I found the additional lazy descriptors results at the end... feels like that Vince McMahon meme.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    It's cool watching the edge cases melt away week by week.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by MadByte View Post
    Thanks for the benchmarks!
    It's impressive how much it improved, surely not 10x better for most cases, but even one game running faster via zink then OGL is really cool to see.
    So, great work Mike! Can't wait to see more of it.
    Rather it begs the question why is that particular game running so slow with native OpenGL. The drivers are not perfect and there will be bugs and bottlenecks, especially with OpenGL 4 features. (I faintly recall that OpenGL 3 was deemed acceptable a few years ago while anything above that was universally broken.)

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Impressive improvements indeed!
    Hopefully tesseract performance regression will be fixed in the future.

Leave a comment:

• MadByte
    replied
    Thanks for the benchmarks!
    It's impressive how much it improved, surely not 10x better for most cases, but even one game running faster via zink then OGL is really cool to see.
    So, great work Mike! Can't wait to see more of it.

Leave a comment:

• Tawheed
    replied
    Wunder how zync will perform under cad workload. Specviewperf is heavily optimized by quadro and firepro drivers while the standard drivers lack 20x in performance ( siemens nx).

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    I hope these benchmarks put the baseless Zinc hype down for a while. Any modern game that puts a decent load on the CPU as well will suffer of a noticeable overhead with OpenGL-to-Vulkan translation.

Leave a comment:

• strtj
    replied
    "code that could deliver 10x the performance for some games" - wake me up when anything even close to this actually happens. I barely saw 2x on the most favorable real-world benchmark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X