Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
    What about encoding?
    There is no current AMD hardware that supports AV1 encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by agurenko View Post
      Hm, somehow I'd don't have even H264 acceleration on my 6700XT with Mesa 21.1.7... does any one have any suggestions why?

Code:
      $ vainfo
      libva info: VA-API version 1.11.0
      libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
      libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_11
      libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
      vainfo: VA-API version: 1.11 (libva 2.11.0)
      vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 21.1.7 for AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (NAVY_FLOUNDER, DRM 3.41.0, 5.13.10-200.fc34.x86_64, LLVM 12.0.1)
      vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      Code:
      $ vdpauinfo
      display: :0 screen: 0
      API version: 1
      Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0

Video surface:

name width height types
      -------------------------------------------
      420 16384 16384 NV12 YV12
      422 16384 16384 UYVY YUYV
      444 16384 16384 Y8U8V8A8 V8U8Y8A8
      420_16 16384 16384
      422_16 16384 16384
      444_16 16384 16384

Decoder capabilities:

name level macbs width height
      ----------------------------------------------------
      MPEG1 0 1048576 16384 16384
      MPEG2_SIMPLE 3 1048576 16384 16384
      MPEG2_MAIN 3 1048576 16384 16384
      H264_BASELINE --- not supported ---
      H264_MAIN --- not supported ---
      H264_HIGH --- not supported ---
      known kernel regression: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1673

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
        Yeah I was about to post this. It's fixed in 5.14.rc6 and I imagine it'll be backported to the next 5.13 bugfix release but I'm not certain. Either way you can use the patch submitted in the Gitlab report to create a patched kernel module if you can't wait, I did this and its been working great

Comment

Oh, wow, thanks. I've switched to the 6700XT exactly on a day fedora released 5.13 kernel, so I thought it's been broken. Appreciate the pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            i always find audio and video support is lacking in Linux compare it to windows
            If only Windows did a good job. It is always a bad joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              Linux GUIs is one thing that AMD gets very, very wrong. They are not on the scene and they are nowhere in sight.
              If it was an AMD only issue I'd buy that but when pretty much everyone isn't on the scene then it's not a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

If it was an AMD only issue I'd buy that but when pretty much everyone isn't on the scene then it's not a surprise.
                Linux not having a singular backwards compatible GUI toolkit is not making things easier. I mean there are things like Qt (which are properly cross platform as a bonus) but then you will always have someone from the Linux side complaining (i.e. gnome people saying it doesn't adhere to their design guidelines).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                  Linux not having a singular backwards compatible GUI toolkit is not making things easier. I mean there are things like Qt (which are properly cross platform as a bonus) but then you will always have someone from the Linux side complaining (i.e. gnome people saying it doesn't adhere to their design guidelines).
                  It's a shitshow all around. Qt is cross platform but cross platform toolkits are a never ending joke. They never look well across most of the OS's they support. You build with Qt and GNOME users will complain. You build with Gtk+ and KDE users will complain. I don't blame either side.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                    It's a shitshow all around. Qt is cross platform but cross platform toolkits are a never ending joke. They never look well across most of the OS's they support. You build with Qt and GNOME users will complain. You build with Gtk+ and KDE users will complain. I don't blame either side.
                    And as parent pointed out: if you build with GTK, you also have to deal with the fact that your code will either break, or at a minimum look different, with every GTK release.
                    I have no idea if Qt is any better on THAT front - but even Firefox, which is using GTK, on a GTK desktop, has literally NEVER rendered scrollbars etc correctly for more than maybe a month or two at a time at best, just because of GTK's CONSTANT random breakages from one version to the next. sigh...

Comment

There is no current AMD hardware that supports AV1 encoding.
                      True. But every ones next gen cards will at least for 4:2:0 sub sampling.

Comment

Working...
                      X