No announcement yet.

Pending Patches Allow Direct3D 9 "Gallium Nine" To Run Over Mesa's Zink Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pending Patches Allow Direct3D 9 "Gallium Nine" To Run Over Mesa's Zink Vulkan

Phoronix: Pending Patches Allow Direct3D 9 "Gallium Nine" To Run Over Mesa's Zink Vulkan

Mesa's Zink is well known for working to provide a generic OpenGL implementation over the Vulkan API that can be used across hardware/drivers. While still focused on OpenGL-over-Vulkan, with some pending patches it turns out Zink can support Gallium3D Nine for ultimately allowing Direct3D 9 atop this layer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What the?

Don't we have DXVK for this already? It's one layer less than Nine -> Zink -> Vulkan....
    Come on I thought Nine was a direct hardware thing instead of a wrapper?

Sure, maybe better compatibility than DXVK for Direct3D 9 because it doesn't have to overwrite system libraries (and therefore better for anti-cheats) but... still.

Comment

I suppose this means Nine can run on top of the proprietary nvidia drivers now. Kind of cool, i guess, and might make the WINE devs less hostile to it.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 18 June 2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I suppose this means Nine can run on top of the proprietary nvidia drivers now. Kind of cool, i guess, and might make the WINE devs less hostile to it.
        So what's again a practical use case for nine, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

So what's again a practical use case for nine, though?
          Besides wine, virtual machine drivers

Comment

I know it sounds kind of stupid. and yeah, maybe it is. but it would be nice to get some progress done towards 3d accel in a virtual machine that isn't aids. id still consider Vmware the only acceptable VMM in that regard.

Comment

Sounds like Valve is building some machine with no native OpenGL support.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Makes one really wonder why their upcoming "SteamPal" (most likely AMD APU-based) would only be shipping with the RADV driver, but not RadeonSI?
                Maybe it's a "having full control over the entire software stack" kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Its great for mobile hardware. as many mobile devices have terrible OGL implementations. but usually acceptable vulkan ones.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    What the?

Don't we have DXVK for this already? It's one layer less than Nine -> Zink -> Vulkan....
                    Come on I thought Nine was a direct hardware thing instead of a wrapper?

Sure, maybe better compatibility than DXVK for Direct3D 9 because it doesn't have to overwrite system libraries (and therefore better for anti-cheats) but... still.
                    We do have multiple vulkan and opengl drivers for hardware already - no need to be surprised :P
                    and Gallium Nine is a state tracker, same as OpenGL

Comment

Working...
                    X