Mesa's New "Crocus" OpenGL Driver Is Performing Well For Old Intel Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's New "Crocus" OpenGL Driver Is Performing Well For Old Intel Hardware

Phoronix: Mesa's New "Crocus" OpenGL Driver Is Performing Well For Old Intel Hardware

Landing this week in Mesa 21.2's development code is Crocus Gallium3D providing a new Intel OpenGL driver for i964 "Gem4" through Haswell "Gen7" graphics. While even Haswell graphics are showing their age these days, I couldn't help but to fire up a few benchmarks seeing how this new Crocus open-source OpenGL driver performs against the existing "i965" classic open-source driver for Linux systems.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30260

Does VAAPI work with this driver or does the intel-media-driver interface with i915 directly?

Comment

I went to see how both drivers do against windows driver

Comment

Very cool, I like how the frame time spikes are lower, even when average performance is similar.

Comment

Is "Gem4" to "Gen7" a typo?

Comment

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post
            Does VAAPI work with this driver or does the intel-media-driver interface with i915 directly?
            It's based on Iris, so the intel-media-driver should technically work

If not you can force it with LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=i965 (or iHD on Haswell+)

Comment

Haswell is 7.5 generation in Intel terms...

Comment

The result looks terrific! Crocus really paves the way for Haswell to the future!!

Comment

I'm not expecting it but does it offer any benefits to OpenGL based compositors, specifically kwin?

Comment

Noob question: Do I have to use the intel video driver to use this ? Asking because on my haswell I dropped back to modesetting maybe a year ago so that I can see video output in parole (rather than horizontal lines). TIA

Comment

Working...
                    X