Experimental RADV Code Allows Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Older AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental RADV Code Allows Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Older AMD GPUs

Phoronix: Experimental RADV Code Allows Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Older AMD GPUs

AMD currently just supports Vulkan ray-tracing with their Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards while now there is independent work being done on Mesa's unofficial Radeon Vulkan driver (RADV) to allow ray-tracing to work with older generations of GPUs like Vega and Polaris...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey, you should mention Bas in this because he is the real star of the show, I just wrote the lowering of the intrinsic for the older hardware.

Also, I wrote it in nir, not SPIR-V.
    Also please don't call me Ashton that's my father's name lol.
    Last edited by JoshuaAshton; 31 May 2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
      Also, I wrote it in nir, not SPIR-V
      Probably noob question, what is the advantage of writting it in nir instead of SPIR-V ?

Comment

Hey, you should mention Bas in this because he is the real star of the show, I just wrote the lowering of the intrinsic for the older hardware.

Also, I wrote it in nir, not SPIR-V.
        Also please don't call me Ashton that's my father's name lol.
        With this being implemented in Nir, would it work for all the drivers ingesting Nir?

Comment

@Dunexus: Convenience, that's just how all the existing meta stuff is written

@FireBurn: Not entirely, some parts could definitely be adapted for a general purpose implementation though.

Comment

@FireBurn: Not entirely, some parts could definitely be adapted for a general purpose implementation though.
            It would be great to see something like that appear, similar to the soft fp64 implementation that was done, I imagine it will be needed for the software renderers at some point anyway

Comment

Nice writeup!

It has a typo or two, though: "Yesteryesterday and yesterday I".
              Last edited by hvis; 31 May 2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Very cool!
                Is there a way to use a secondary GPU (not driving a display) to handle the RT rendering, or would the PCIe overhead of that negate the performance benefits of a 2nd GPU?
                I imagine for dual-GPU cards, this could be beneficial.

Comment

This news proofs that amd cards are not supported as they should. So, Vega and Pascal models will be involved or not on RADVD project?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Very cool!
                    Is there a way to use a secondary GPU (not driving a display) to handle the RT rendering, or would the PCIe overhead of that negate the performance benefits of a 2nd GPU?
                    I imagine for dual-GPU cards, this could be beneficial.
                    I'm not an expert but my guess is that can be problematic/hacky on the driver side. Though it's completely possible to make Vulkan program which would offload RT using shader calculation on dedicated GPU. And before any attempts are made in that direction it won't hurt to see "software" RT performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X