Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Prepares Linux Driver For Next-Gen Virtual GPU

Phoronix: VMware Prepares Linux Driver For Next-Gen Virtual GPU

While physical GPUs may be in short supply right now, VMware is preparing for "SVGA v3" as their next-gen virtual PCI graphics adapter for use within VMware virtual machines for graphics acceleration backed by the host...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope VMware won't forget about opensourcing their D3D10/11 state tracker..

it is dead code as besides nouveau and svga no driver tries to handle it and there is simply now way to generate a TGSI with those anyway.

FWIW, we'll be open-sourcing the D3D10/11 state tracker which uses as soon as I find some time to clean up the code. So it's won't just be consumed by a closed source component nobody else has access to.

Comment

I hope so as well.

Michael did you ever benchmark this? I would be interested to know how it compares to something like VirGL.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Can this be used by other VM solutions such as qemu/KVM and VirtualBox? It should be mandatory if it's part of Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Can this be used by other VM solutions such as qemu/KVM and VirtualBox? It should be mandatory if it's part of Linux kernel.

• Graphics. The default Oracle VM VirtualBox graphics device for Windows guests is an SVGA device. For Linux guests, the default graphics device emulates a VMware SVGA graphics device. See Section 3.6.1, “Screen Tab”.

For legacy guest OSes, a VGA-compatible graphics device is available.

Comment

I've seen many cases where the VirtualBOX SVGA driver can't resize the window. In order to achieve best compatibility, their own vbox video is still recommended.

Comment

Annoyingly my main reason to use a VM to play games is to run older platforms (If I want to play current games, why virtualize?). However I doubt VMware will be backporting their fancy new SVGAv3 system to Windows 9x any time soon

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Annoyingly my main reason to use a VM to play games is to run older platforms (If I want to play current games, why virtualize?). However I doubt VMware will be backporting their fancy new SVGAv3 system to Windows 9x any time soon
                If you need to emulate Windows 9x, try DOSBox instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

If you need to emulate Windows 9x, try DOSBox instead.
                  I'm very sorry to say it, but you are wrong.

You must use DOSBox-X instead, please consider it. It's orders of magnitude better, a lot more flexible and a lot better Windows 9x compatibility. The development model is not only very open unlike upsream, but uses Git instead outdated Subversion. They also import the interesting code from upstream when it makes sense too, so you can get the best.

PCem is nice, but the project suffered fork hell due to controversies and other issues, unfortunately. PCem is a lot more accurate but a lot more resource demanding. 86Box is nice and a more friendly community not obsessed with forum posts and better development way, but still Windows-only. Nobody was enough brave, stubborn, had enough time and skilled enough to port 86Box to other platforms. PCem has a very peculiar gobernance and development with a not so open development model, to say the least. VARC is, well, different too

To me, DOSBox vs DosBOX-X is like OpenOffice vs LibreOffice.
                  Last edited by timofonic; 05 May 2021, 08:15 AM. Reason: Fix URL and better wording

Comment

Fair enough. I hardly ever use DOSBox and have never tried Windows 9x under these, I just knew it was possible.

I should probably look at packaging DOSBox-X for Gentoo. Maintaining the DOSBox package is frustrating at times. It's nice to see DOSBox-X showing off its 3DFX support on its front page.

Comment

Working...
                    X