Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Progress Is Made Understanding Apple's M1 GPU, Working Towards An Open Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paradroid View Post

Just watched some YouTube videos of Metro Exodus running on M1. It is not to bad, definitely way better than Intel onboardgraphics.
    I've seen the same videos and Metro Exodus stutters a lot on the M1. Lots of demanding games tend to stutter on the Apple M1 hardware. As much as people want to defend Apple and their lack of Vulkan, there is no future for the Metal API. All the emulators ported to Mac use MoltonVK as most developers aren't interested in learning an API that only works on Apple hardware. Apple would be better off supporting Vulkan instead of continuing their Metal API.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

I've seen the same videos and Metro Exodus stutters a lot on the M1. Lots of demanding games tend to stutter on the Apple M1 hardware. As much as people want to defend Apple and their lack of Vulkan, there is no future for the Metal API. All the emulators ported to Mac use MoltonVK as most developers aren't interested in learning an API that only works on Apple hardware. Apple would be better off supporting Vulkan instead of continuing their Metal API.
      The videos of it stuttering were the ones with it running in Fusion/Parallels.

Native is smooth.

Comment

Metro Exodus is a native MacOS game with Metal. You get around 20 FPS in scenes with low poly count and few enemies. Not bad but not great either.
        But for the first gen it is more 3D-performance than I expected.

Comment

Working...
        X