Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Virgl Straps On A Simple Disk Cache

Phoronix: Mesa's Virgl Straps On A Simple Disk Cache

The "Virgl" virtual 3D GPU project for providing OpenGL (and work-in-progress VirtIO-GPU Vulkan) acceleration within guest virtual machines continues to mature for improving the open-source Linux desktop virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it VirtualGL, Virgil, Virgl or VirGL? I always get confused on its name.

Comment

I've been able to get Virgl to work a few times over the years, but it's always been so incredibly slow I've had to remove it from my VMs. And when I say slow, I mean it takes 2 or 3 seconds to respond to a mouse click or drag, so that when attempting to move a window it's jerky and follows significantly behind the physical mouse movement.

And it's very odd, because all the verifications say Virgl is working, and I don't see any errors in the host or VM logs. So I've never been able to identify what the problem is. I've only tried it on Arch though, so maybe it's something Arch specific. I really don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Is it VirtualGL, Virgil, Virgl or VirGL? I always get confused on its name.
        https://www.virtualgl.org/ VirtualGL is a different project.

https://virgil3d.github.io/ Virgil is the original project of VirGL that is merged into mesa. Yes when it merged into mesa they removed the i. It would have been less confusing if they had remained with Virgil.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          I've been able to get Virgl to work a few times over the years, but it's always been so incredibly slow I've had to remove it from my VMs. And when I say slow, I mean it takes 2 or 3 seconds to respond to a mouse click or drag, so that when attempting to move a window it's jerky and follows significantly behind the physical mouse movement.

And it's very odd, because all the verifications say Virgl is working, and I don't see any errors in the host or VM logs. So I've never been able to identify what the problem is. I've only tried it on Arch though, so maybe it's something Arch specific. I really don't know.
          I've recently experimented with Virgl in multiple simultaneous VMs, and was actually happy with the performance... able to run four 3D [OpenGL] games at 60 fps [one on each VM, with them networked linked over network bridge].
          Desktop UI performance inside the VMs has alos been fine...

[Host: Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop [Kernel 5.11.10] ; 32 GB RAM, Ryzen 5600x and Radeon 5700 XT @ 4k 60Hz;
          Guests: Four QEMU*/KVM guests [each at 1080p, 60 Hz] with Ubuntu 21.04 Desktop Beta, using the default Wayland and Mesa 21.0.1 and virgl renderer; 3 CPU threads and 6 GB memory per VM]

*using self-compiled QEMU 6.0.0-rc2 that was built with virgl, sdl, libusb and other support included...
          Last edited by edge-case; 15 April 2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X