Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 13.0 Brings Better Performance, LLVM Clang 11, Obsolete GNU Bits Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DKJones View Post
    FreeBSD just gets better and better. Now if they would only improve the wireless networking speeds, and/or provide the option of installing X11/Wayland by default...

(I'm old enough to remember the days when ISPs would choose FreeBSD over Linux because of its significantly higher networking performance. Presumably ISPs rarely use WiFi, but one doesn't tend to hear about them using it now.)
    I don't know if the option to install X11/Wayland will ever exist because all FreeBSD does is install the Base OS. (Like Windows) - Every other application is from ports. It isn't a distro (collection of packages) like Linux.

What you get in base, is what you get when you install it.. a traditional Unix server, sendmail and all.
    Last edited by k1e0x; 14 April 2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'll bookmark your post 'cause it has happened quite a few times in various communities that people didn't believe me when I pointed out that Netflix partially uses FreeBSD. Next time I can just point them to your comment.
      NetApp's OnTap storage array's OS is also FreeBSD.
      (and yes they upstream patches)

There are lots of other products that use it, but that is a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I don't know if the option to install X11/Wayland will ever exist because all FreeBSD does is install the Base OS. (Like Windows).
        Basically like Arch Linux. And that seems to be popular.

Troll: Especially now after it followed behind FreeBSD and (re)got an installer.

Comment

The recent WireGuard for FreeBSD debacle really left a bad taste in my mouth. For years I've struggled to find the right hardware combination to run FreeBSD, because it's so easy to admin, has easy ZFS setup, doesn't have systemd and often 'feels' faster than Linux.

Linux distros and the Linux kernel have been changing in an unfriendly way to me, but sadly FreeBSD has temporarily lost my trust due to the WireGuard thing. I know FreeBSD doesn't have a lot of manpower available to review code changes/additions, but because of that fact, they should have a solid and reliable way of checking things before they become part of the main release. I am glad they caught the bad commit(s), but I'm just not sure FreeBSD is able to look out for the users.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I don't know if the option to install X11/Wayland will ever exist because all FreeBSD does is install the Base OS. (Like Windows) - Every other application is from ports. It isn't a distro (collection of packages) like Linux.

What you get in base, is what you get when you install it.. a traditional Unix server, sendmail and all.
            A LONG time ago FreeBSD used to give the option to install Xorg in the setup. I think around version 5. It was on a CD version I had as a teenager in around 2004 - 2006. NetBSD and OpenBSD still give the option to install Xorg with a simple wm too!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

A LONG time ago FreeBSD used to give the option to install Xorg in the setup. I think around version 5. It was on a CD version I had as a teenager in around 2004 - 2006. NetBSD and OpenBSD still give the option to install Xorg with a simple wm too!
              That's cool, I did not know. Long time ago, long time, RedHat (4?) use to have a proprietary X server.

Maybe they will just focus on being a good server though and leave the desktop builds to GhostBSD and NomadBSD?

Comment

Hey Michael when are the FreeBSD 13.0 vs 12.2 vs 11.x benchmarks coming? I wake up every morning excited to see them get published because I know you are the only guy who is going to do them and they still aren't out yet. By all means take your time, I'm just getting antsy waiting!

Comment

Working...
                X