Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 13.0 Brings Better Performance, LLVM Clang 11, Obsolete GNU Bits Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0 Brings Better Performance, LLVM Clang 11, Obsolete GNU Bits Removed

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0 Brings Better Performance, LLVM Clang 11, Obsolete GNU Bits Removed

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE is now officially available as the debut of the big FreeBSD 13 feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

13 is a HUGE step forward for FreeBSD. Doesn't Netflix run their whole shop on FreeBSD? If that's still the case, they're about to get a huge performance boost if they move to 13. Service to customers should be better as a byproduct. Can't wait to see the benchmarks. \o/

Comment

Netflix tracks the main branch and is actively contributing to it, I think they resync with upstream about every 6 weeks, so they're almost certainly running code newer than this already.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
        13 is a HUGE step forward for FreeBSD. Doesn't Netflix run their whole shop on FreeBSD? If that's still the case, they're about to get a huge performance boost if they move to 13. Service to customers should be better as a byproduct. Can't wait to see the benchmarks. \o/
        Netflix uses FreeBSD Current on their open connect appliances which powers their CDN. The performance improvements in the FreeBSD 13 network stack and memory management have largely come from Netflix, they have been testing and using these improvements for a good while now. Netflix uses Linux for their other services, which are running in AWS.
        Last edited by Space Heater; 13 April 2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Overall FreeBSD 13 looks solid.

The only odd thing is FreeBSD 13 released with ZFS 2.0.0 (commit f11b09dec from Jan 7 2021)? Why not a newer version?

An older ZFS isn't too big an issue. Compiling OpenZFS from source is pretty painless.

I've been trying the latest OpenZFS commits from the main branch. Rebuilding on each weekly beta. Everything just works. -- Great job!

Last edited by JEBjames; 14 April 2021, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
            Overall FreeBSD 13 looks solid.

I've been trying the latest OpenZFS commits from the main branch. Rebuilding on each weekly beta. Everything just works.
            For some reason this made me slightly chuckle and remember the days of being young

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post

For some reason this made me slightly chuckle and remember the days of being young
              LOL. That weird place, where mostly pointless meets technology. It. Never. Gets. Old. It just gets more pointless.

Comment

FreeBSD just gets better and better. Now if they would only improve the wireless networking speeds, and/or provide the option of installing X11/Wayland by default...

(I'm old enough to remember the days when ISPs would choose FreeBSD over Linux because of its significantly higher networking performance. Presumably ISPs rarely use WiFi, but one doesn't tend to hear about them using it now.)

Comment

In my home I can barely use Wi-Fi anyway because two computers on wireless get about 80 milliseconds of latency and some packet loss. Every engineer I've asked about it just frowns and says it shouldn't happen, though the problem is consistent between replacing my router. Regardless of why it happens, I rely on ethernet. 😔 I suppose if that's the main detractor for freeBSD, I should give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

Netflix uses FreeBSD Current on their open connect appliances which powers their CDN. The performance improvements in the FreeBSD 13 network stack and memory management have largely come from Netflix, they have been testing and using these improvements for a good while now. Netflix uses Linux for their other services, which are running in AWS.
                    I'll bookmark your post 'cause it has happened quite a few times in various communities that people didn't believe me when I pointed out that Netflix partially uses FreeBSD. Next time I can just point them to your comment.

Comment

Working...
                    X