Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Phoronix: Mesa 7.4 Release Candidate 1 Released

Mesa 7.3 was released back in January and was branched from the master Git tree so that it can be stabilized further and go on to form Mesa 7.4. Well, nearly three months later, Mesa 7.4 is getting close to being released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"... later this year" like in December or earlier?

Comment

I thing by September

Comment

There is one another good for Wine and older cards extension 'GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap' implemented just for intel. AMD, open documentatiton for R200 please!

P.S. Seriously, i want to see that shiny objects again!
        Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I couldn't wait any longer. That's why I sold my 4850 and got myself a 9800GT.

Everything now works perfectly:

Tear-free Compiz
          Tear-free x-video + VDPAU
          Flicker-free tear-free 3D windowed applications

It was an overall tear-free experience and I am overall a tear-free person.

So while they promise the open stack will be done tomorrow, I will be back to the open source campaign tomorrow, too. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            I couldn't wait any longer...
            You know the difference between mesa and open/closed source graphics drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by AliBaba View Post
              You know the difference between mesa and open/closed source graphics drivers?
              The latter works (NVidia's one only) while the former is still broken as crap.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                The latter works (NVidia's one only) while the former is still broken as crap.
                I had a lovely supper and a piece of halibut that was good enough for Jehovah. Oh, wait, that's off topic as well. :-)

Anyways, you should have known that the only drivers which support nVidia-hardware completely are closed source. So if you want to use open source only, don't buy their products. I personally don't think that some possibly broken mesa driver is the only problem you face when you use open source drivers for nVidia. In fact I do even believe that it's the least significant one.

Btw, ontopic:
                Using mesa 7.4 I get lots of display errors. They apparently have been there since I first tested the 7.4 branch and could be related to KMS/DRI2.

Hmm, after updating compiz (= rebuilding it) those problems seem to be gone.
                Last edited by AliBaba; 26 March 2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X