No announcement yet.

Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-Over-Vulkan Still Has ~200 Patches To Land, More Performance Work

Mike Blumenkrantz who has been working under contract for Valve as part of their Linux graphics driver initiatives has provided a fresh status report on Zink as the Mesa Gallium3D effort for implementing OpenGL APIs atop Vulkan...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ll-200-Patches

I am curious how much juice we can get from zink. Would it be 80% of native opengl ? or 90% ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Eagle2 View Post
      I am curious how much juice we can get from zink. Would it be 80% of native opengl ? or 90% ?
      I think it depends a lot on the application/game. In specific cases, Zink can already surpass OpenGL performance. That said, I presume it'll stabilize between 80% and 90% performance on most applications across a varied selection of GPUs. This is still good enough for running legacy applications, since they're often less demanding than modern ones.

Comment

I'm old enough to remember a few months ago when people were telling me it would never get much faster than it was back then, and when I was saying that was a really premature thing to say. The glxgears thing is hilarious, should make future Zink releases bug-compatible with the pathological behaviour of glxgears, for the meme.

Comment

Working...
        X