Zink Can Now Run On Lavapipe But You Really Want To Avoid It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you don't need glsl for that: if you have llvmpipe, you have llvm, i.e. you could write your code in c++.
    Does llvm auto-vectorize and loop-optimize C++ as effectively as llvmpipe does for GLSL? Somehow, I really doubt that.

Also, llvmpipe gets me off the hook from creating & managing multiple builds for each different CPU capability level I need to support (everything from baseline x86-64 to AVX-512), since it compiles & optimizes for the native architecture at runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Does llvm auto-vectorize and loop-optimize C++ as effectively as llvmpipe does for GLSL? Somehow, I really doubt that.
      it should support openmp and there are many library solutions in c++
      Originally posted by coder View Post
      Also, llvmpipe gets me off the hook from creating & managing multiple builds for each different CPU capability level I need to support (everything from baseline x86-64 to AVX-512), since it compiles & optimizes for the native architecture at runtime.
      i meant optimizing code at runtime as llvmpipe would do

Comment

it should support openmp and there are many library solutions in c++
        What I really care about is good scalar -> SIMD conversion, effective loop-unrolling, and software pipelining. I need good efficiency as much or more than absolute performance.

i meant optimizing code at runtime as llvmpipe would do
        Given that I already have a decent familiarity with GLSL, it's automatically more appealing. It has relaxed memory-consistency constraints that eliminate some performance pitfalls of C++ and it's automatically portable to GPUs. Those things make it very attractive to me.

OpenCL is also a potentially viable option, but the software situation seems more messy. Also, I prefer to have image support, which I believe isn't universally-available.

Comment

Working...
        X