Zink Can Now Run On Lavapipe But You Really Want To Avoid It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    You can go into a store and buy a Threadripper.
    A lot of stores that sell computers don't sell Threadrippers. Most, even. Workstations and HEDT are a niche product, and becoming more niche after mainstream CPUs' core counts have risen, significantly. The current price premium of these CPUs hasn't helped, either. I have a workstation-class machine @ home that I couldn't justify replacing with similar.

I don't know why you ignored the rest of my post.
    Because I had nothing to say about it. I was offering the sub-$150 graphics card as a point of reference, not an alternative to your specific scenario. Sometimes, a reply in a public forum isn't written only for consumption by the OP.

By the way, Threadripper is also great for software compilation and is actually a reasonable product to buy for developers in this field.
    Agreed that it's a good build machine. I spend a lot of time building and couldn't justify one to my employer, though. I'd be thrilled even with "just" a 5950X. If I went up to a Threadripper platform, I'd probably do like Linus and get a 32-core, which is a better value.
    Last edited by coder; 06 February 2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      it will be enough for mpv player or some emulator
      I fail to see how decoding video over an emulated graphics pipeline would be faster than using plain old regular CPU-based decoding... It isn't magic, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        I fail to see how decoding video over an emulated graphics pipeline would be faster than using plain old regular CPU-based decoding... It isn't magic, after all.
        I fail to see how why we need this in the first place too but I give example for this can use for only

or maybe you can used in VM passthrough

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I spend a lot of time building
          sounds like your build system is in a need for improvement

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            sounds like your build system is in a need for improvement
            Lol. The reason I've been spending a lot of time building is precisely because I've been rewriting it!

A word of advice: don't give the buildsystem to the most junior guy, especially with no oversight. Or anyone reluctant to do it, really. Both are going to be a recipe for a rewrite. Or, in my case, a re-rewrite. Ideally, you want it done by someone who will take the time to get all the details right, but also make it as easy as possible to use and extend.

Sadly, many developers seem not to have a lot of patience for learning the ins and outs of the buildsysem and will copy the first (usually bad) example they find. People seem to have a knack for finding bad examples. If there's one bad example of how to do something, someone will find and copy it. And now you have two, making it even more likely that the next person finds one.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              I had an idea to use it as a portable alternative for hand-coding variations of a some compute-intensive operations using a bunch of different SIMD ISA extensions for each different CPU ISA level. Just write it as GLSL compute shaders and let llvmpipe optimize it for whatever CPU you happen to be running it on.

Comment

The article is not quite correct. zink on lavapipe was working for almost 2 months.

The issue was that support got disabled, because it was causing problems to users with no accelerated GPU, as loader often will load zink on lavapipe before plain llvmpipe (which is slightly faster and more future complete).

The new patch, adds ability to use zink on lavapipe anyway, if you dare so. This is mostly for use in automated testing (CI) of the Mesa zink itself, but you can use it too.

It is not new, just gives more control and better defaults for average user.

Comment

The reason I've been spending a lot of time building is precisely because I've been rewriting it!
                  that's my hobby too. still a lot of time for builds sounds wrong. do you use ccache?

Comment

I had an idea to use it as a portable alternative for hand-coding variations of a some compute-intensive operations using a bunch of different SIMD ISA extensions for each different CPU ISA level. Just write it as GLSL compute shaders and let llvmpipe optimize it for whatever CPU you happen to be running it on.
                    you don't need glsl for that: if you have llvmpipe, you have llvm, i.e. you could write your code in c++.

Comment

that's my hobby too.
                      It's less of a hobby, but something I care enough about that bad buildsystems really bother me. I see how they impact productivity and product quality, and I believe it's worth doing right. It's also a slight departure from what I do for most of my time, so that helps.

A side-benefit I've gotten is a tour of many dark corners, in our codebase. So, there are some cleanup tasks and policies coming out of the effort, as well.

still a lot of time for builds sounds wrong. do you use ccache?
                      Indeed, but when one of the things I'm fixing is the dependencies of all the targets, then ccache doesn't help. I'm fairly conservative in the configuration I use, since I need to be careful not to break things. But our buildsystem does more than just compiling and linking.

It is almost magical, when I hit a case that ccache handles.

Comment

Working...
                      X