Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More OpenGL Threading Improvements Land For Mesa 21.1

Phoronix: More OpenGL Threading Improvements Land For Mesa 21.1

Even in 2021 longtime open-source AMD Mesa driver developer Marek Olšák isn't done optimizing OpenGL for delivering the best possible performance with the Radeon graphics driver. Marek's latest work includes more OpenGL threading enhancements and other work seemingly targeted at SPECViewPerf workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My suspicionation is that AMD wants to stop having to maintain the old proprietary OGL driver on Linux (and eventually Windows too with OGL over DX12 looking like the future). RadeonSI already excels for gaming workloads, so if it can also handle workstation loads, there would be no reason to have the old proprietary OGL driver around anymore.

Comment

Given all this recent work and a focus on SPECViewperf, it looks like either there is a big AMD customer already making use of RadeonSI or planning to do so in production for such workstation use-cases
      You mean: more workstation software for Linux?

Comment

this will coming to i965 ?

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
          My suspicionation is that AMD wants to stop having to maintain the old proprietary OGL driver on Linux (and eventually Windows too with OGL over DX12 looking like the future). RadeonSI already excels for gaming workloads, so if it can also handle workstation loads, there would be no reason to have the old proprietary OGL driver around anymore.
          I just hope that they can find the time to open source the GUI that's in with that driver and put it up on github for us. The old driver package has a control panel afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

I just hope that they can find the time to open source the GUI that's in with that driver and put it up on github for us. The old driver package has a control panel afaik.
            FGLRX had a control panel, but AMDGPU-PRO doesn't.

Comment

Hope finally radeonsi will move to aco...

Comment

I wonder if this will make things like Satellite Reign run better or if it will be better for Zink to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
                  I wonder if this will make things like Satellite Reign run better or if it will be better for Zink to catch up.
                  radeonsi is most optimized OpenGL driver on the planet. Zink is nowhere close. Yes, zink-wip can approach 85% of radeonsi on same hardware in many workloads, but these are usually GPU bound. In some pathological cases, with heavy geometry use on CPU side, etc, it can be way slower. Sometimes below 50%. Even in GPU bound scenarios generated shader assembler are not as good as the ones generated by radeonsi. We hope it will get better, but count more like 2022, than 2021.

Zink primary focus is just to work and be correct, performance is secondary (but there is a lot of mechanisms and caches and tricks in zink to make it fast and performant), but it will be really hard to reach radeonsi or outperform it. Possible, but unlikely.

If you have problem with radeonsi, just report well crafted issue on mesa issue tracker. I do own Satellite Reign, but didn't actually tested it yet. I guess I will try it next week with radeonsi and zink-wip.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post

radeonsi is most optimized OpenGL driver on the planet. Zink is nowhere close. Yes, zink-wip can approach 85% of radeonsi on same hardware in many workloads, but these are usually GPU bound. In some pathological cases, with heavy geometry use on CPU side, etc, it can be way slower. Sometimes below 50%. Even in GPU bound scenarios generated shader assembler are not as good as the ones generated by radeonsi. We hope it will get better, but count more like 2022, than 2021.

Zink primary focus is just to work and be correct, performance is secondary (but there is a lot of mechanisms and caches and tricks in zink to make it fast and performant), but it will be really hard to reach radeonsi or outperform it. Possible, but unlikely.

If you have problem with radeonsi, just report well crafted issue on mesa issue tracker. I do own Satellite Reign, but didn't actually tested it yet. I guess I will try it next week with radeonsi and zink-wip.
                    The thing with satellite reign is that it is notoriously poorly optimized, so I'm just wondering how much extra fps can you extract through driver optimizations.

No amount of reports will fix what is essentially an unmaintained game on an old and horrible unity version.

Comment

Working...
                    X