Mesa 21.0 RadeonSI Will Run Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bofh80
    How does this relate to the mulithreading option in the game? Is that for the CPU? It doesn't appear to work on linux either!
    MT option actually boosts CPU bound fps from e.g. 50 to 90 in Danger Zone.

Comment

Added <option name="mesa_glthread" value="true" /> and <option name="radeonsi_clamp_div_by_zero" value="true" />
      Benchmark result are 495-497 to 511-515 fps.
      In benchmark i seed one area where i have 350 fps before up to 420 fps.

I found on amd cpu (ryzen 3000-5000) some core are slower like 2 core in 6 core (at same frequency) in my case that result 4 thread with smt enabled.
      I dont know if is the bios/cpu/system.
      I guess if the 5600x have two ccx with 4c+4c and have one with 2core disabled (that give 6core = 5600x) in this picture something can make the 2c slower or its a bad chip that i have.
      Gonna check later today with cpu benchmark if i found something.
      Last edited by kripteks; 11 January 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        Great, but I stopped playing this game when I realized aiming is some kind of random.
        Another thing to keep in mind is that movement inaccuracy is huge when using rifles. This is why you need to always stop before firing. To stop faster, you need to counter-strafe, that is, move in the opposite direction you're currently going to. This will make you stop faster compared to merely releasing the movement key.

When using SMGs or some pistols, movement inaccuracy is lower but your damage output is also lowered. Also, when crouch-moving, you still keep (roughly) the same accuracy as standing still.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post
          Added <option name="mesa_glthread" value="true" /> and <option name="radeonsi_clamp_div_by_zero" value="true" />
          Benchmark result are 495-497 to 511-515 fps.
          In benchmark i seed one area where i have 350 fps before up to 420 fps.

I found on amd cpu (ryzen 3000-5000) some core are slower like 2 core in 6 core (at same frequency) in my case that result 4 thread with smt enabled.
          I guess if the 5600x have two ccx with 4c+4c and have one with 2core disabled (that give 6core = 5600x) in this picture something can make the 2c slower or its a bad chip that i have.
          AFAIK the 5600X has 1 CCX with 2 cores disabled. How much slower are those cores, like 1% or 10%? If it's really at the same frequency that does not make sense. I can understand higher temps or more power usage at same frequency, but less performance that's very odd.

I've seen some strange results relative to Windows discussed here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...53#post1230653

As mentioned in that post here's some useful reading material that could be useful to analyse your test results:

I don't have anything newer zen+ so can't do any tests here. It could be useful to test your CPU on Windows if you have a spare drive and some time. I'm sure more 5600X owners will show up later this year perhaps that can give more information.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
            Volta isn't random, if you stand, the first shot will be right on the spot, and the rest of the pattern is known, so it's important that maintain the speed at 0 before the shot. Another detail is to respect the precision range of the weapon.

The lack of randomness is the reason of competitive works so well, with trained "pixels" to throw granades and campering.
            Well, there is this thing called "Inaccuracy" which is random and no weapon is completely accurate even if you stand still. https://counterstrike.fandom.com/wiki/Inaccuracy

Comment

I've set mesa_glthread=true globally and didn't see any problems with no game yet.

Intel Core i5 6200U, Intel HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2), AMD Radeon R7 M360 (Iceland)
              Last edited by StarterX4; 11 January 2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

How does Mesa knows that I'm running CounterStrike in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post

Turbo on Ryzen CPUs is different from turbo on Intel CPUs. See this excellent Anandtech article - https://www.anandtech.com/show/14873...ncy-metrics-/3

Basically, only one core is guaranteed to be able to reach the turbo frequency. The other cores may or may not be able to reach the turbo frequency at all.

Comment

Nice to see such a quick implementation of my findings. dumb thing is I could have opened that issue a week or two sooner.

Your system information Steam client version (build number or date): 29th April Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): Ubuntu 19.04 Opted into Steam client beta?: No Have you checked for system updates?: Yes ...

There is a visual bug in Counter Strike Global Offensive on Linux as outlined here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/csgo-osx-linux/issues/2101 that can be corrected on AMD GPUs...

Comment

Cool, 20% is a lot in CS:GO, especially at CPU limited resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                      X