X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    It is often a lot faster that Linux.
    I feel it's more than this.
    The small dev team, they care so much about good efficient code they make linux installations seem as the bloated mess Windows appeared when compared to the early GNU/linux distributions in the late '90s.

Comment

It is often a lot faster that Linux. Not sure about the system calls interface, but the GUI is something you either love or hate. I personally love it

If only Vivaldi browser was available for Haiku, then I would switch to it full-time
      For me it is BeOS nostalgia that makes Haiku cool to me. I think that probably they could really run with this and have an advantage in performance that other systems don't have. A lot of cycles are wasted in GNOME and KDE trying to figure out how to draw decorations and such, which don't need to be wasted when you just want it to look like BeOS forever.

Comment

They already import FreeBSD drivers.
        Different drivers. Network drivers != graphics drivers.

The hardware graphics driver development on Haiku sputters every few years and then dies out as developers loose interest or squat on it deterring interest of other developers because they think someone is working on it. The safest assumption at this point is that nobody is working on it untill they publish working code.

In any case the package management system is so badly designed and intrusive into the basic usage of the filesystem... that I would never suggest anyone use it.

Comment

In any case the package management system is so badly designed and intrusive into the basic usage of the filesystem... that I would never suggest anyone use it.
          Their package manager is indeed different.
          But intrusive? Care to elaborate?

BTW, I've got a 64bit Haiku VM (trunk) that I play around with for the past 2+ years. It has it warts and all, but I can't say that I have any issues with the package manager ...
          Last edited by gilboa; 12 January 2021, 09:54 AM.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Their package manager is indeed different.
            But intrusive? Care to elaborate?

BTW, I've got a 64bit Haiku VM (trunk) that I play around with for the past 2+ years. It has it warts and all, but I can't say that I have any issues with the package manager ...
            They're likely referring to the "read-only" nature of it.
            Essentially our system directories are read-only. Every software package is "mounted over" the system directories read-only.

In linux terms, /usr /bin /lib are read-only. You can't modify them.
            We expect you to use /usr/local, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, etc.
            The "local" paths (we call them "non-packaged") override the system ones.

I hated it at first as well... but to be honest, from a security standpoint it's awesome. As the edge cases have been fixed (forgetting to check non-packaged/lib first, etc) it's actually panned out to be a great design.
            Last edited by kallisti5; 12 January 2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Nice. I remember running this teapot demo on BeOS back in a day, around 2000.

Does Haiku support SMP and 64-bit? That would help with software renderer quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post

Essentially our system directories are read-only. Every software package is "mounted over" the system directories read-only.

I hated it at first as well... but to be honest, from a security standpoint it's awesome. As the edge cases have been fixed (forgetting to check non-packaged/lib first, etc) it's actually panned out to be a great design.
                First things first, many thanks for your hard work on Haiku. While I only play with it from time to time on a VM, but I must admit I'm extremely impressed by the huge steps taken by Haiku to make it a viable daily driver since B1.

Per your post, I too found the package manager a bit odd at first, coming from the world of RPM and DEB. But after a while, it simply works. And as you said, from a security standpoint the ideal read-only FS used by packages is very compelling.

- Gilboa
                Last edited by gilboa; 13 January 2021, 11:13 AM.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
                  Does Haiku support SMP and 64-bit? That would help with software renderer quite a bit.
                  Yes and yes.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post

It is reminiscent of Amiga OS design.

And there are some approaches on Unix to try similar. Most notably Guix and NixOS. Which approach to software installation I really really like.

Comment

Can confirm working, trialed and errored over 10 ubuntu installs haha with random kernel mods here and there. But at the end, i didnt have to make any changes to grub or the kernal. Just needed to add modprobe for si cik and add afew conf files for amdgpu

So i averaged 70-80fps low 50s and peak 98 on Unigine Heaven on ultra settings 8x analising at 1920x1080

---- System ----
                      System: Linux 5.8.0-50-generic x86_64
                      CPU: AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2495MHz MMX+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 SSE4A SSE5 AVX HTT x4
                      GPU: Unknown GPU x1
                      System memory: 13937 MB
                      Video memory: 256 MB
                      Sync threads: 3
                      Async threads: 4

---- MathLib ----
                      Set SSE2 simd processor

---- Sound ----
                      Renderer: OpenAL Soft
                      OpenAL vendor: OpenAL Community
                      OpenAL renderer: OpenAL Soft
                      OpenAL version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.19.1
                      Found AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE
                      Found AL_EXT_OFFSET
                      Found ALC_EXT_EFX
                      Found EFX Filter
                      Found EFX Reverb
                      Found EAX Reverb
                      Found QUAD16 format
                      Found 51CHN16 format
                      Found 61CHN16 format
                      Found 71CHN16 format
                      Maximum sources: 256
                      Maximum effect slots: 16
                      Maximum auxiliary sends: 2

---- Render ----
                      GLRender::GLRender(): Unknown ATI GPU
                      OpenGL vendor: AMD
                      OpenGL renderer: AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M (PITCAIRN, DRM 3.38.0, 5.8.0-50-generic, LLVM 12.0.0)
                      OpenGL version: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.2.0-devel (git-a165385 2021-04-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
                      OpenGL flags: Core Profile
                      Found required GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
                      Found required GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
                      Found required GL_ARB_draw_instanced
                      Found required GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex
                      Found required GL_ARB_transform_feedback
                      Found required GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
                      Found required GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
                      Found required GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
                      Found required GL_ARB_texture_multisample
                      Found required GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object
                      Found required GL_ARB_geometry_shader4