No announcement yet.

Mesa 21.0 Is Now Working With Haiku OS For Software OpenGL Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometime last year I tested Haiku, and when using that (old) version of llvm, openarena was fast enough to be playable on the cpu (i7). In fact, I found it faster than a radeon 4870 on Linux with accelerated Mesa...

Comment

They could do like OpenBSD and import the KMS drivers, and not gaze long into that abyss, lest it gaze into them.

Comment

BeOS was one of my first forays into a Windows alternative as a teenager (after having struggled with Red Hat Linux), I really thought BeOS could make it big and then it just died, so I always have a soft spot of Haiku

Comment

Fantastic news! Well done, Haiku!

Time for some testing...

Comment

Michael , what about this?
            https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...ite/issues/443
            is it at least under evaluation?
            Last edited by topolinik; 11 January 2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              edit: They do have plans to switch to gcc8.
              Their 64 bit release gets already built by gcc-8.3.0, what am I missing?
              Last edited by topolinik; 11 January 2021, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
                BeOS was one of my first forays into a Windows alternative as a teenager (after having struggled with Red Hat Linux), I really thought BeOS could make it big and then it just died, so I always have a soft spot of Haiku
                Same here. Red Hat and all. When the non-MS OS dust settled I was a Debian user. Every time I see a Haiku article here it reminds me of those early days.

Comment

Their 64 bit release gets already built by gcc-8.3.0, what am I missing?
                  Nothing really :-) You're correct.

Our x86 32-bit version of Haiku runs GCC 2.95 to keep BeOS binary compatibility.

Our arm,arm64,riscv64,ppc,m68k, and x86_64 versions all run GCC 8.3.0.

There's also no limitation on us upgrading from GCC 8.3.0 to GCC 9,10,11... someone just needs to port our 8.3.x patches to a later version of GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    They could do like OpenBSD and import the KMS drivers, and not gaze long into that abyss, lest it gaze into them.
                    They already import FreeBSD drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Is Haiku better than Linux?
                      Does it have higher performance, cleaner interface, a more robust security model?
                      It is often a lot faster that Linux. Not sure about the system calls interface, but the GUI is something you either love or hate. I personally love it

If only Vivaldi browser was available for Haiku, then I would switch to it full-time

Comment

Working...
                      X