Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink With Mesa 21.0 Now Exposes OpenGL 4.1

Phoronix: Zink With Mesa 21.0 Now Exposes OpenGL 4.1

While for months there have been experimental patches taking Zink to OpenGL 4.6 for this OpenGL-on-Vulkan translation layer integrated into Mesa, the upstreaming process around testing and code review is quite lengthy with up until today still only exposing OpenGL 3.3 with mainline Mesa. But with the latest Git commits, Zink is now up to OpenGL 4.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok, I remember the times when the mesa project called for volunteers to implement opengl extensions because they where stuck on 3.3 while 4.x has been out for years. This took quite a while and this time gave birth to mesa matrix.
    What I am wondering now, why is it now seeminlgy trivial to reimplement all this stuff with vulkan?

Comment

The work done to implement the features within mesa itself was pretty immense. Now the drivers have a relatively simpler job of hooking the functionality in. they do not need to rewrite the functionality for each driver.

A lot of the work can be shared (and kudos for intel for doing a lot of it.)

Comment

Any chance to AMD have a better performance using Zink than running OGL directly? Would be nice if AMD can run ogl on par to nvidia using zink

Another question, zink can run that OpenGL ASM like the Yuzu uses (nvidia only)?

Comment

in the short term the answers would be unlikely and unlikely.

For the former, if there are easy wins, AMD will likely implement them in the OpenGL driver or have done so already. until this driver is deprecated and no longer properly maintained, it should remain performant.

For the latter, I have no real clue, but i would guess the nvidia only code works with the nvidia diver and not with mesa.

Comment

While I dont see any preformance increases, it is certainly nice to zink becoming better and better, While I dont use any apps that use opengl 3.3 or higher, id certainly like to find some. Ive gotten most of the emulators i like to work using it too. not at native, but they work.

Edit, bad english, meant to say higher than 3.3 in general

Comment

Can't wait for the day when Zink will be so stable & performant that we will read the news: "All mesa native opengl drivers are now depreciated, only Vulkan drivers and Zink remains".

That will make the code base so much lighter, and with dev time spent only this much simpler code base, that will lead to higher quality overall mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                Any chance to AMD have a better performance using Zink than running OGL directly? Would be nice if AMD can run ogl on par to nvidia using zink

Another question, zink can run that OpenGL ASM like the Yuzu uses (nvidia only)?

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                  Not in the short or mid-term, see post: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...23#post1228223

Comment

Fantastic work and I'm very glad to see OpenGL 4.1 support now for Mesa 21.0 :-) Probably time to switch to mesa-git now and to play around with Zinkā€¦

Comment

Working...
                    X