No announcement yet.

Microsoft Adds SPIR-V To DXIL Library In Mesa - With A Focus On WebGPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Adds SPIR-V To DXIL Library In Mesa - With A Focus On WebGPU Support

Phoronix: Microsoft Adds SPIR-V To DXIL Library In Mesa - With A Focus On WebGPU Support

Microsoft continues pushing new code into Mesa 21.0 as its efforts around Mesa continue to ramp up principally around GPU acceleration within Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) as well as allowing the likes of OpenGL and OpenCL to function under Windows 10 in the absence of native GL/CL drivers by using Mesa to translate the APIs for consumption by Direct3D 12 drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DXVKDXVKDXVKDXVKDXVKDX...

DXIL to SPIR-V to DXIL to SPIR-V...

Comment

I wish everyone who designed WGSL a horrible weekend.

Comment

MS should stop fooling around, drop DX/DXIL and switch to Vulkan/SPIR-V to begin with.

Comment

Why do we need another shader language for the web ?
          What's wrong with existing shader languages ?

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
            Why do we need another shader language for the web ?
            What's wrong with existing shader languages ?
            Because companies are too selfish to agree on a single shading language.

Comment

I know a little bit about it and my answer is Apple but I can't say more.

Comment

Cool, good to see more people using Mesa to get things done.

I hope AMD looks at Mesa as a prime source for their driver efforts across platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                  I know a little bit about it and my answer is Apple but I can't say more.
                  TL;DR from what I've seen is that Apple vetoed using SPIR-V because apparently they have some sort of ongoing legal snafu with Khronos (which in typical Apple style they'll disclose nothing about, even to the committee). WGSL was created as a sort of "devil's bargin" in light of this from a proposal/implementation from Google. It's pretty much SPIR-V but text (there's a 1-1 mapping), so at least it's not GLSL. Also, hilariously, most of the WebGPU implementations out there don't support it yet but do support SPIR-V when running outside of a browser.

Comment

For actual information about WGSL decision making, please check out this comment. The whole debate is now captured in Argdown, see graph or plain views.

Also, the work by Microsoft is interesting regardless of its connection to WebGPU. It may allow, for example, Vulkan Portability implementations running on DX12 to work without SPIRV-Cross.

Comment

Working...
                    X