Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.0 Merges Initial Direct3D 12 Support For WSL

Phoronix: Mesa 21.0 Merges Initial Direct3D 12 Support For WSL

The latest Mesa 21.0 improvement is support for building Microsoft's Direct3D 12 Gallium3D driver code for Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not Gallium-Twelve or I mean Direct3D 12 on bare-metal? That would be much more useful...

Comment

Typo: "todayare" -> "today are"

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Why not Gallium-Twelve or I mean Direct3D 12 on bare-metal? That would be much more useful...
        Because it's not supposed to be useful for anyone but Microsoft. They fear loosing developers & mindset to the Open Source eco-system and are trying to offer an Open Source-like developer environment *within* Windows.

Once they have lured enough developers into their WSL environment I wouldn't be surprised if they start chapter 2 of the EEE book where developer tools get a special WSL-only update not found in nor compatible with the original. The rest is history.

Comment

Oh typo
          ​​​​​​
          todayare

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Because it's not supposed to be useful for anyone but Microsoft. They fear loosing developers & mindset to the Open Source eco-system and are trying to offer an Open Source-like developer environment *within* Windows.

Once they have lured enough developers into their WSL environment I wouldn't be surprised if they start chapter 2 of the EEE book where developer tools get a special WSL-only update not found in nor compatible with the original. The rest is history.
            devs devs devs. what you said, and while i do hear people deny this motive, i hear no alternate one suggested. tigers n stripes n all that

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

This strategy can work the opposite of intended. Some Windows devs will increase the learning and getting used to shell/distro/linux and can eventually switch.

At the least the dev workflow for linux/oss tools will get wider deployed and understood.

I don't know if it stop the mindset bleeding absolutely.

Comment

Can this be used for anything other than WSL?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Can this be used for anything other than WSL?
                  Windows on ARM I believe will be trying to get this running, as ARM OGL has been abysmal, and EGL ranges from acceptable to horrid. If MS can mandate DX12 or DX12.1 suport, then Windows ARM systems should all be at a known quality and compatibility level.

Comment

Does anyone know why Mesa is merging this code? It seems like a pointless burden for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X