Mesa 20.3 Released With Big Improvements For Open-Source Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.3 Released With Big Improvements For Open-Source Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: Mesa 20.3 Released With Big Improvements For Open-Source Graphics Drivers

Mesa 20.3 has been released as the Q4'2020 open-source graphics driver update, primarily around providing OpenGL and Vulkan support on the likes of Intel and AMD Radeon graphics along with the reverse-engineered Nouveau support, many smaller drivers especially in the embedded space, and the growing list of CPU-based implementations and other translation efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will test this with intel when Kisak ppa upgrade to this version, what I miss good nvidia support in this drivers and kernel side at least, nvidia please put reckloking and pm working with your gpu like amd and intel in the kernel and userspace the community do the rest

Comment

AMD lost a big opportunity to have OpenCL via mesa Clover, for machines that doesn't support pcie-atomic operations,
      Which is tons of previous hardware, still without a viable open-source stack..
      Big Opportunity lost by AMD..sad.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        AMD lost a big opportunity to have OpenCL via mesa Clover, for machines that doesn't support pcie-atomic operations,
        Can't wait for usable mesa clover on amdgpu

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Can't wait for usable mesa clover on amdgpu
          I'm with you there! Does anyone know if SPIR-V and clCreateProgramWithIL will be supported on amd GPUs in 20.3 (assuming it's not in place already)?

Comment

Yes, Can't wait for clover to mature. OpenCL1.2 is great though, been missing it for too many years!

I've been reading some and it seems like OpenCL 3 won't require OpenCL 2 as a prerequisite? Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              AMD actually implemented most of clover years ago and tried drive it as an open source community driven OpenCL implementation, but there was never much interest in it until the last few months. In the meantime, we had a complete implementation that we could open source. Not community driven I realize, but there wasn't and still isn't much of a community around OpenCL and it allowed us to get something out sooner rather than later. It should also be noted that there are only a couple of cards that require platform atomics for ROCm. The vast majority do not.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Yes, Can't wait for clover to mature. OpenCL1.2 is great though, been missing it for too many years!

I've been reading some and it seems like OpenCL 3 won't require OpenCL 2 as a prerequisite? Is that true?
                yes it helps nvidia since they never had opencl 2, intel years ago opt with beignet their one implementation even arlied complain about duplicate work, I dont understand why open source driver intel/amd/nvidia don't use clover and something unifided, less trouble and less burden for each other, since they use common things in mesa why not opencl too?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

yes it helps nvidia since they never had opencl 2, intel years ago opt with beignet their one implementation even arlied complain about duplicate work, I dont understand why open source driver intel/amd/nvidia don't use clover and something unifided, less trouble and less burden for each other, since they use common things in mesa why not opencl too?
                  I'm guessing it's because clover state tracker is mainly written in C++ (at least when I read the code quite a few years ago)

Another guessing is, GPU computing was fairly niche market compared with what it is now (Thanks to deep learning). So they're not paying extra attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Highly interesting...

So it seems that due to nVidia's anti-competitive behavior they may have inadvertently created a scenario that benefits Mesa! Wow... I can't wait for Clover's OpenCL to wipe the floor with ROCm's OpenCL... And thanks to nVidia influencing Kronos that may happen sooner rather than later....

EDIT: Cuda state tracker in mesa? Maybe? Anyone know?
                    Last edited by duby229; 03 December 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X