Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Begins Landing Changes For Cross-Platform Support With Their Mesa D3D12 Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've never even tried running a graphical application under WSL2 let alone a desktop environment.
    What about now

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

It's probably preferable to MS forking Mesa
    Its really not. MS forked Mesa would be used by microsoft and no one else. They'd have to do the extra work of porting upstream patches or their patches every new version and would be a huuge maintenance burden of microsoft.

No one, and I mean no one, is going to use the microsoft fork because they aren't providing ANYTHING for anyone else.

I invite them to fork.

Leave a comment:

• lakes3
    replied
    Originally posted by abott View Post

It's not, because at least if they fork it, it's their issue. Their maintainer. Their pulls and syncing. Them, not Mesa. Instead, Mesa people are handling Microsuck's garbage instead of Microsuck themselves.

As long as they're okay with it/getting paid to, it's fine. But it's basically a cancerous tumor. How many others would be accepted like this by the maintainers before they said no? Why is it okay for Microsoft to do this crap with no benefit to anyone but themselves?

Microsuck needs to maintain Microsucks crap, not Mesa.
    The very idea of using native applications with DirectX support in Linux is initially bad, because it is not cross-platform.
    Much more useful from Vulkan, OpenGL, OpenCL.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Wouldn't it be a weird world where that worked....have you tried it yet?
    I've never even tried running a graphical application under WSL2 let alone a desktop environment.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I wonder how long until I'll be able to run KDE on Arch on WSL on Windows 10 Pro on QEMU on Arch 🤔
    Wouldn't it be a weird world where that worked....have you tried it yet?

Leave a comment:

• abott
    replied

It's not, because at least if they fork it, it's their issue. Their maintainer. Their pulls and syncing. Them, not Mesa. Instead, Mesa people are handling Microsuck's garbage instead of Microsuck themselves.

As long as they're okay with it/getting paid to, it's fine. But it's basically a cancerous tumor. How many others would be accepted like this by the maintainers before they said no? Why is it okay for Microsoft to do this crap with no benefit to anyone but themselves?

Microsuck needs to maintain Microsucks crap, not Mesa.

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
    I firmly don't understand why anyone would accept the patches until DX12 runs in linux with microsoft support?

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    I firmly don't understand why anyone would accept the patches until DX12 runs in linux with microsoft support?

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Is this worth celebrating? It means nothing for desktop Linux at all.
    It's not, MS is firmly in the "Extend" phase of their conquest...

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Is this worth celebrating? It means nothing for desktop Linux at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X