Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Begins Landing Changes For Cross-Platform Support With Their Mesa D3D12 Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Begins Landing Changes For Cross-Platform Support With Their Mesa D3D12 Code

Phoronix: Microsoft Begins Landing Changes For Cross-Platform Support With Their Mesa D3D12 Code

Last month the Microsoft-backed Direct3D 12 Gallium3D driver was merged into Mesa 21.0. This is the driver for allowing graphics/compute APIs like OpenGL and OpenCL to run on top of Direct3D with Windows 10. That work to the Gallium D3D12 code has been continuing with the start of the cross-platform code now being merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux app in Windows is working better and better.

You click twice and you have linux . Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
      Linux app in Windows is working better and better.

You click twice and you have linux . Epic.
      Did they also include an option to uninstall the windows subsystem?

Comment

Microsoft already announce that the want Android Apps again in the MS Store powered by WSL. I hope it will end in a usable Android Support. Unfortunately my older C2D Laptop cant handle it because Google set SSE4.1 as a x86 requirement

Comment

I wonder how long until I'll be able to run KDE on Arch on WSL on Windows 10 Pro on QEMU on Arch 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Microsoft already announce that the want Android Apps again in the MS Store powered by WSL. I hope it will end in a usable Android Support. Unfortunately my older C2D Laptop cant handle it because Google set SSE4.1 as a x86 requirement
            WSL2 relies upon SLAT for virtualization capability anyway inherited from it's Hyper-V underpinnings which means you weren't going to get it anyway. You need to upgrade your hardware to something reasonably relevant rather than something a decade+ old if you don't want to be left behind by software.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

WSL2 relies upon SLAT for virtualization capability anyway inherited from it's Hyper-V underpinnings which means you weren't going to get it anyway. You need to upgrade your hardware to something reasonably relevant rather than something a decade+ old if you don't want to be left behind by software.
              No, my main Computer is something much more recent. My C2D Laptop is for everything else like try android x86, or ubuntu with anbox. But since Android require SSE4.1 for Android Builds, i did not used it anymore.

I did search for something similar because other VM "solutions" where full of ads like Bluestacks or andy (with a bitcoin miner). and one of the biggest issue where 3D rendering was extremely slow or not possible.

Comment

Is this worth celebrating? It means nothing for desktop Linux at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                  Is this worth celebrating? It means nothing for desktop Linux at all.
                  It's not, MS is firmly in the "Extend" phase of their conquest...

Comment

I firmly don't understand why anyone would accept the patches until DX12 runs in linux with microsoft support?

Comment

Working...
                    X