Mesa Now 2~5x Faster For SPECViewPerf Following OpenGL Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    By terrible I was mainly referring to the choice selection, pretty much 95%+ of all mid tier (and higher) laptops that had a discrete graphics card were using NVidia.
    Odd. I look at tons of laptops and rarely run into NVidia GPUs. It's almost always AMD for discrete GPUs.

Comment

I'm hoping this work means AMD is trying to completely ditch the proprietary OGL driver on Linux and migrate all their pro customers to the open stack. I suspect that it's hit the point where it's less expensive to get RadeonSI up to par in these kinds of workloads than to keep putting effort into keeping their proprietary OGL driver Linux-compatible.

Between this and MS/Collabora's work on Gallium3D over D3D12, maybe AMD will finally ditch the entire proprietary OGL codebase? Actually seems plausible, considering Zink is able to hit 95% native performance nowadays, I see no reason the D3D12 layer couldn't also. Also Windows 10X is coming soon, and pretty sure only the D3D12 layer will be supported there.

Mesa is slowly taking over the entire (graphics) world, and I for one couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        4. Diehard Nvidia fans. There are proportionately fewer of them in the Linux community, but they do exist. Many of them also happen to be Wayland haters lol.
        It's funny how I kind of wish Linux was more popular so that there would be more AAA game titles to play etc. Then again, there's all the RGB LED crowd jerking off to the leather jacket guy "baking" new GPUs..

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

I switched from a 980 Ti to a Radeon VII a while back and my experience using AMD's drivers has been fantastic.
          Yeah, I've been told about Radeon VII has an enormous compute ability... My impression from what I've heard 2nd hand is that if AMD had a viable competition to Cuda, then in that case the Radeon VII would hold the compute crown hands down. I've seen the benchmark results, it's highly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            Amd need to put more people in all their drivers, it's only thing missing at this point great hardware again but need a lot of improvements in their drivers cpu and gpu to catch up the quality of nvidia at least
            Honestly, Nvidia seemly higher performance is through quirks and hacks within their driver especially for the Linux kernel. Thanks in part to the Ryen successes, AMD is recovering and hiring more developers.

Comment

Originally posted by prueba_hola View Post
              someday AMD will have a GUI panel control
              It comes with your desktop in whatever shape and form your desktop implements it.

There was a long discussion about this and it was agreed that there is no need for a UI only specific to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                I dont want to have bad drivers on release day.
                Every AMD new GPU release for the past few years. Especially on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Thanks in part to the Ryen successes, AMD is recovering and hiring more developers.
                  Yeaaaahhhh, that's a bullshit excuse. AMD isn't some three-person band working out of a garage, they're a huge company with hundreds of millions of dollars. They can afford to hire enough developers to write proper quality drivers for all of their hardware and have it ready ahead of release.

Their Linux support is just crap compared to Intel's. If review and benchmark sites were told that drivers/CPU software wasn't ready at launch, and will only be released a few months later, or that they have to build unstable software from scratch themselves, in order to benchmark/review the hardware, they would NOT be providing favourable reviews for AMD. AMD would have been thrashed publicly.

AMD's Linux support has just been inexcusably bad for a decade - I'm happy they're working on open source drivers and actually have a Linux team, but let's not act like it's for our benefit - these are all AMD hardware specific code, which only benefits AMD and their customers. So the fact that their Linux support is still in such shambles is disgraceful.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                    Yeaaaahhhh, that's a bullshit excuse. AMD isn't some three-person band working out of a garage, they're a huge company with hundreds of millions of dollars. They can afford to hire enough developers to write proper quality drivers for all of their hardware and have it ready ahead of release.
                    Except AMD position has not been the best. With the different failure of product lines AMD got themselves critically in debt and it taken 10 years to dig their way out. Just because a company is now a huge company with decent amount of free cash to speed does not mean they were that way 12 months ago or 2 years ago. As AMD debt problem reducing more money is going into driver development in general.

Its really simple sandy8925 to miss how much the product flops of the past dug AMD into a financially troubled location. Comes hard when you are choosing between more developers and meeting debt repayment requirements and keeping share holders happy with their dividend.

AMD would have been thrashed publicly.
                    That not would have they have been over their Windows drivers due to lack of developers working in that area as well.

This is a nightmare for a silicon company like AMD. Designing and producing silicon is expensive as hell with no returns policy. You goof it like with the AMD Bulldozer CPUs from 2011 the effects on the companies operations hurt the next made products as well the Debt of the mistake means you don't have the money to invest to properly make out the next products.

There have been a nice chain of product goofs with AMD causing nice high debt levels. This harms the amount of developer resources you have.

Horrible as it sounds like it or not AMD has not been in a location just to throw money at developers and say make me drivers. Instead have had to be attempting to exactly right number of developers to make the quality drivers to have as much money left over to clear debt. Please note AMD failing to clear debt will mean if they make another Bulldozer like product so double stack the debt they will be dead.

Silicon production yes you are talking billions of dollars game but its really gambling with billions of dollars and if you get it wrong its really wrong.

AMD still needs a few more successful products to be clear of the AMD Bulldozer CPU caused debt. We really do hope AMD history stops repeating. This is history just getting out of debt so able to start good investment in development then the next product be goof and puts them straight back in.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                      Its really simple sandy8925 to miss how much the product flops of the past dug AMD into a financially troubled location. Comes hard when you are choosing between more developers and meeting debt repayment requirements and keeping share holders happy with their dividend.
                      I'm not disagreeing with you other than to say "it was much worse than that". The choice was between hiring more developers and being able to pay the ones we had. I don't believe AMD has ever paid a dividend.

Guest remember that AMD lost money almost every quarter from late 2006 through 2017, more-or-less broke even until 2019, and has only really gotten back to normal operation in the last year.

If review and benchmark sites were told that drivers/CPU software wasn't ready at launch, and will only be released a few months later, or that they have to build unstable software from scratch themselves, in order to benchmark/review the hardware, they would NOT be providing favourable reviews for AMD. AMD would have been thrashed publicly.
                      I don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that we are somehow lying to the reviewers and that they don't do any testing themselves ?
                      Last edited by bridgman; 02 December 2020, 12:32 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X