Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Development Now Being Done On RADV With Navi GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JellyBrain View Post

isn't it the opposite? it's a software implementation of opengl on vulkan, so you will need a vulkan-capable hardware, and it won't work on older GPUs, so it won't help those who need the radeon driver. right?
    Read the post; he said "radeonsi" which is for GCN cards only (and all GCN cards support Vulkan).
    For older GPUs (TeraScale) r600 may stay...

Comment

Any chance this could be used for window managers using OpenGL to go through Vulkan or this is not a possible path?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

One I never really see mentioned is dgvoodoo2: Glide 2.11, Glide 2.45, Glide 3.1, Glide 3.1 Napalm, DX 1-7, DX8.1, DX9 -> DX11/DX12
        Sometimes wine has problems with older directx games so I use it to do old dx->dx11->vulkan via dxvk. Probably adds a lot of overhead, but it doesn't really matter for older games.
        Does it work for:
        microprose european air war ?

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post

All I know about Glide and Voodoo was that they were developed by Silicon Graphics; just like the hardware in the N64. So, is this project related to GlideN64 or angrylion/parallel?
          did you try:

Comment

While I was happy about intel's new Gallium driver, it's too bad they had to drop anything older than Broadwell (while this is understandable, you need a cutoff at some point).

But perhaps using Zink we can extend the support for Ivybridge and Haswell, which have Vulkan support on Anvil. When I say "support" in this context, I mean that in a non-legacy way.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
              Any chance this could be used for window managers using OpenGL to go through Vulkan or this is not a possible path?
              There is a WIP proof of concept in the merge requests by Adan Jackson called "Penny". It is working to add "Copper" as a thin wrapper over zink to add winsys integration.

If that works out and works well, I wonder if it could also solve many of the proprietary nVidia issues (but you will have to choose to use Zink over Nvidia's implementation of GL which is likely better optimised).

EDIT: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/7661
              Last edited by You-; 28 November 2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

It's an awesome library, but it's closed source. And that's a turn off for a lot of people.
                It seems like there was once MesaFX with Glide support. And OpenGlide might be an option too.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  If that works out and works well, I wonder if it could also solve many of the proprietary nVidia issues (but you will have to choose to use Zink over Nvidia's implementation of GL which is likely better optimised).
                  Remember we still have the problem here that you use Xwayland with Nvidia and you fall all the way back to llvmpipe. Zink does not have to beat Nvidia opengl binary driver in this case only beat llvmpipe that it should be able todo no problem and hopefully get somewhere near usable performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
                    That's what I'm hoping for.

Comment

Reading all these posts makes me wish for a Glide wrapper for use with Wine. And a Rendition wrapper too.

Comment

Working...
                      X