Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Development Now Being Done On RADV With Navi GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Development Now Being Done On RADV With Navi GPU

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Development Now Being Done On RADV With Navi GPU

Mike Blumenkrantz who has spent most of the year working on the "Zink" Gallium3D code for allowing universal OpenGL over Vulkan translation and took this Mesa code to OpenGL 4.6 compatibility and in some cases 90%+ the performance of a native OpenGL driver is now working on Zink development from a Radeon Navi graphics card with the RADV driver, which may in turn help uncover bugs and areas of optimizations for the open-source Radeon driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now let it run with 110% of radeonsi performence and delete whole radeonsi driver :P

Comment

camel_case
      I was thinking a similar thought. Imagine how many lines of code would be deleted out of Mesa if Zinc and LLVMpipe were the only Gallium3D drivers. The focus would be on two drivers and we all win.

Anyone have a list of actively maintained list of translation layers (like MoltenVK)?

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        camel_case
        I was thinking a similar thought. Imagine how many lines of code would be deleted out of Mesa if Zinc and LLVMpipe were the only Gallium3D drivers. The focus would be on two drivers and we all win.

Anyone have a list of actively maintained list of translation layers (like MoltenVK)?
        hold on allow lavapipe to introduce itself

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

hold on allow lavapipe to introduce itself
          There can only be one [Gallium3D driver].

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
            camel_case

One I never really see mentioned is dgvoodoo2: Glide 2.11, Glide 2.45, Glide 3.1, Glide 3.1 Napalm, DX 1-7, DX8.1, DX9 -> DX11/DX12
            Sometimes wine has problems with older directx games so I use it to do old dx->dx11->vulkan via dxvk. Probably adds a lot of overhead, but it doesn't really matter for older games.

Comment

Originally posted by camel_case View Post
              Now let it run with 110% of radeonsi performence and delete whole radeonsi driver :P
              That's not really possible, the reason radv was so quick to develop was because it uses the same infrastructure that was already developed for radeonsi. Without radeonsi, there would be no radv.

Comment

Originally posted by camel_case View Post
                isn't it the opposite? it's a software implementation of opengl on vulkan, so you will need a vulkan-capable hardware, and it won't work on older GPUs, so it won't help those who need the radeon driver. right?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

One I never really see mentioned is dgvoodoo2: Glide 2.11, Glide 2.45, Glide 3.1, Glide 3.1 Napalm, DX 1-7, DX8.1, DX9 -> DX11/DX12
                  Sometimes wine has problems with older directx games so I use it to do old dx->dx11->vulkan via dxvk. Probably adds a lot of overhead, but it doesn't really matter for older games.
                  It's an awesome library, but it's closed source. And that's a turn off for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

It's an awesome library, but it's closed source. And that's a turn off for a lot of people.

All I know about Glide and Voodoo was that they were developed by Silicon Graphics; just like the hardware in the N64. So, is this project related to GlideN64 or angrylion/parallel?

Comment

Working...
                    X