Valve Now Funding Blumenkrantz - Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan To Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

OpenGL over Vulcan over Metal (over Rosetta 2) helps with Valve's MacOS effort. They've been heavily invested in all kinds of compatibility layers past several years.

I also think that they're playing the long game for an eventual SteamOS Chemist or other dedicated Linux based gaming system.
    I don't think they will make a console, they tried their steam os and some pre-made pc's but that was a failure. If they made their own console it would cost them a huge amount in r&d especially if they wanted a custom SoC. Also sales figures would be small. Microsoft and sony already have diskless consoles so there would be nothing unique about it. Valve aren't going to take that gamble.

Comment

So happy that my steam money help those great sponsorships from Valve to be a thing

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

OpenGL over Vulcan over Metal (over Rosetta 2) helps with Valve's MacOS effort. They've been heavily invested in all kinds of compatibility layers past several years.

I also think that they're playing the long game for an eventual SteamOS Chemist or other dedicated Linux based gaming system.
        I've been thinking the same for a couple years now. All this activity on linux can really only mean one thing at the end of the day, and that's still the independance from MS, the original vision. The value for Steam would be, theoretically, any hardware base, with their own reference systems for maximum support.

BPM could use an overhaul. It's pretty crap in all departments.
        Hi

Comment

I been follow zink and I got mix felling about it and I can see where it can be use.

Some issue I see is that all opengl driver behave diffent it does not matter wish platform it is writen for. example nvidia opengl driver vs amd opengl driver in windows behave differt and same goes under linux and andorid. it does not matter who write.

Here I can see zink solv a issue same behvoir on all platform.

Next issue I see I do not zink can get same performet in real world what a native opengl can give. But so far Mike have show in some case his driver is faster what native driver is. and allot case it is slower. But I hope mike can show everyone that zink can be or faster what native driver is.

I Hope Mike sussess and I am happy that value hire him for zink devloper.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLord View Post
            I been follow zink and I got mix felling about it and I can see where it can be use.

Some issue I see is that all opengl driver behave diffent it does not matter wish platform it is writen for. example nvidia opengl driver vs amd opengl driver in windows behave differt and same goes under linux and andorid. it does not matter who write.

Next issue I see I do not zink can get same performet in real world what a native opengl can give. But so far Mike have show in some case his driver is faster what native driver is. and allot case it is slower. But I hope mike can show everyone that zink can be or faster what native driver is.

I Hope Mike sussess and I am happy that value hire him for zink devloper.
            "Native OpenGL driver is better", is simply a mirage.

(For anyone who'd like to see more progressions on Zink: Keep these two links and drop them off whenever anyone questions Zink's performance)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLord View Post

There is a serous consideration here that is is fairly hard for zink to be faster than a native mesa driver as it bits get upstreamed. Like AMD open source driver and zink are both galluim3d drivers so there is in fact shared code between them. Other than hardware limitations Intel and AMD open source drivers on Linux have very alike in behaviours this is the shared code effect.

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
              "Native OpenGL driver is better", is simply a mirage.

(For anyone who'd like to see more progressions on Zink: Keep these two links and drop them off whenever anyone questions Zink's performance)
              Those are windows examples. Things do get different on Linux due to the shared code between drivers.

Comment

Nice Valve, 1% market share is enought to found this and they are thinking in future (China) the market share wil grown and this can be used by apple produts too, and more important with arm soc who only spport vulkan and opengl es and this way using such chips in desktop it wil become much more easy in gaming for the future

Comment

Good job Valve and thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                    I'm surprised that valve is still funding linux development considering that linux that has a miniscule gaming marketshare of 1% or so. I would have thought that valve would have given up by now. I'm not complaining btw, i'm very happy they are still working on making linux better.
                    Well, Stadia has shown that game devs are willing to port to Linux and use other APIs like Vulkan, and all of those excuses they made earlier are just crap. Yes yes I know, wide variety of systems, software versions, compatibility issues etc. but they have the same problem on Windows too.

There was never any technical problem, just management's perception and disdain towards Linux.

Anyway, Valve seems to be pivoting towards cloud gaming like Stadia and others, so that's why they're still funding Linux graphics work, it will benefit them on their cloud backend. They can get older games using OpenGL working as is, thus reducing the work needed from game dev companies.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a serous consideration here that is is fairly hard for zink to be faster than a native mesa driver as it bits get upstreamed. Like AMD open source driver and zink are both galluim3d drivers so there is in fact shared code between them. Other than hardware limitations Intel and AMD open source drivers on Linux have very alike in behaviours this is the shared code effect.
                      True it is harder for Zink get faster that native but if u look into some test it show zink is faster in some case vs native driver. Here is the question if zink can be faster that native or perfome same. But I hope it can perform better that native driver. Then we we got bad writen arm gpu driver that is close soure and they support vulkan as well. so I really hope zink can be standard driver at end with simluare speed or better as native driver are.

Comment

Working...
                      X