Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Vulkan Software Implementation Now Known as Lavapipe

Phoronix: Mesa's Vulkan Software Implementation Now Known as Lavapipe

Mesa's Vulkan software implementation built atop LLVMpipe was developed as Vallium (Vulkan + Gallium3D) but has been renamed to Lavapipe within Mesa 20.3...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulkan-Lavapipe

Love the new name. It definitely sounds cooler

Comment

So with Zink over Lavapipe we have another software GL option

Comment

I wonder how this performs compared to Swiftshader.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo7887 View Post
          I wonder how this performs compared to Swiftshader.
          I've tried SwiftShader's `master` branch yesterday and couldn't run Godot's `master` branch with it. It just displays a black screen while spamming errors in the console, even in the project manager
          I haven't tried Lavapipe yet. Apparently, it works but is very slow (< 1 FPS in the 2D editor).

I'd report the bug but the process seems to be more complicated than the typical GitHub-hosted project.

Comment

Ridiculous. Gallium, lavapipe, nouveau, all those stupid names that create confusion. Why not call a spade a spade ??
            Open source is sometime worse than uninspired marketing departments...

Comment

If they wanted to stuck with the Vallium (Valium) theme, maybe they could have went with Crackpipe That is a joke of course, meant to be funny - don't let you're head explode on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

I've tried SwiftShader's `master` branch yesterday and couldn't run Godot's `master` branch with it. It just displays a black screen while spamming errors in the console, even in the project manager
                I haven't tried Lavapipe yet. Apparently, it works but is very slow (< 1 FPS in the 2D editor).

I'd report the bug but the process seems to be more complicated than the typical GitHub-hosted project.
                The only test I ran with Swiftshader is for Quake 1 (vkQuake) which works fine. Couldn't get anything else to run though, even vkQuake 2 crashes.

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                If they wanted to stuck with the Vallium (Valium) theme, maybe they could have went with Crackpipe That is a joke of course, meant to be funny - don't let you're head explode on that one!
                I'm glad they changed it, earlier I went to youtube for anything related to the project and all I got were Valium drug related stuff.

Comment

Vallium sounded like a medication name. Lavapipe is cooler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

Comment

"Just a cooler name, and a lot easier to search for."
                    It's a good thing they didn't name it "blue waffle".

Comment

Working...
                    X