X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by archsway View Post
    If you want to install Debian or Ubuntu, the easiest option would be to debootstrap onto the new root partition
    Don't worry, I already have rootfs I took from Ubuntu server aarch64 installed on virtual machine, and I used it to get Ubuntu up and running on Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS.

If you break something and can't boot into anything, these steps can re-enable USB booting without losing data on the eMMC.
    If you can't compile a working kernel, you could try copying the modules and kernel from ChromeOS (to find the kernel image, run `sudo cgpt show /dev/mmcblk0` (or whatever the eMMC device is), and look for the KERN partition with the highest priority).
    That useful, thank you! Kernel part is a bit relief for me (for me it means it's will be possible to get it working one way or another) I have to restore my eBay account to see if there good deals with delivery to Russia.
    As for audio, I guess I can use this UCM configs without changes, as is?
    On Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS UCM is a hassle right now - there is old UCM1 config that works with old alsa-lib 1.2.2 build (but now with new one). And new UCM2 config that supposed to work with alsa-lib 1.2.3, but I can't get it working at all (and it never worked with alsa-lib 1.2.2). I guess krane configs is UCM1, so I expect some issues here. What alsa-lib version ChomeOS currently use?

flashing packed kernels is done with just plain 'dd'
    Yeah, I know. I just hoped there is a way to automate this process.
    I've only heard of it being done on RK3288 Chromebooks, but it is theoretically possible for any SoC with u-boot support.
    Okay, is there manuals on how exactly modify coreboot to get rid of devmode warning?

Leave a comment:

• archsway
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    You mean completely replaced? Like, flashed into board instead of coreboot? Which Chromebooks support that?
    Yes. I've only heard of it being done on RK3288 Chromebooks, but it is theoretically possible for any SoC with u-boot support.

That sounds tempting, but also like easy way to brick motherboard for someone who never done this. Is there no easy way to achieve same result like mrchromebox script do for x86 Chromebooks, but on ARM Chromebook?
    Not really. The main motivation for those firmware images is to be able to boot standard distro images unmodified, but those don't really exist for ARM outside of servers.

I would like to replace ChromeOS with regular Linux distribution, if possible.
    It's safe to install to the internal eMMC with the usual partitioning steps, but be aware that the device number for the eMMC can change between kernel versions -- check with lsblk, it's the device with >10 partitions.

I would recommend installing ArchLinuxARM to an external USB first, then installing from that to internal eMMC with the same steps, just with a root filesystem for whatever distro you prefer instead of Arch. If you want to install to USB from another machine, you will have to install vboot-utils to get cgpt and vbutil_kernel.

If you want to install Debian or Ubuntu, the easiest option would be to debootstrap onto the new root partition, then . For Ubuntu, give it the mirror URL http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/

If you break something and can't boot into anything, these steps can re-enable USB booting without losing data on the eMMC.

Thanks, by the way I got black screen on Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS probably because CONFIG_DRM_TI_SN65DSI86 is not enabled by default in Ubuntu default arm64 config. Will check this next week.

By the way, is Chromebooks boot flow is supported by flash-kernel? Is it possible to use it flash new kernels into boot partition automatically?
    It doesn't seem flash-kernel supports Chromebooks, but flashing packed kernels is done with just plain 'dd'.

Packing kernels can by done by following the ArchLinuxARM pkgbuild steps (the key files etc. are in the containing directory), but you will need to modify the kernel.its file so that one fdt entry has description "mt8183-kukui-krane-sku176.dtb" and path "arch/arm64/boot/dts/mediatek/mt8183-kukui-krane-sku176.dtb".

If you can't compile a working kernel, you could try copying the modules and kernel from ChromeOS (to find the kernel image, run `sudo cgpt show /dev/mmcblk0` (or whatever the eMMC device is), and look for the KERN partition with the highest priority).

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    A few people replace coreboot with u-boot completely, but u-boot doesn't seem to support the Duet yet.
    You mean completely replaced? Like, flashed into board instead of coreboot? Which Chromebooks support that?

If you manage to compile coreboot yourself you can try to remove the developer mode screen and shorten the boot timeout
    That sounds tempting, but also like easy way to brick motherboard for someone who never done this. Is there no easy way to achieve same result like mrchromebox script do for x86 Chromebooks, but on ARM Chromebook?

You can at least use `sudo crossystem dev_default_boot=usb` to boot to external media by default after the 30-second timeout.
    I would like to replace ChromeOS with regular Linux distribution, if possible.

A standard distro kernel is likely to work, but may be missing some features such as the sound driver. You can try asking bbrezillon on the Freenode IRC channel #panfrost for the specific config he used.
    Thanks, by the way I got black screen on Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS probably because CONFIG_DRM_TI_SN65DSI86 is not enabled by default in Ubuntu default arm64 config. Will check this next week.

The commands to pack a kernel partition from the zImage can be found in the PKGBUILD for the ArchLinuxARM kernel package.
    By the way, is Chromebooks boot flow is supported by flash-kernel? Is it possible to use it flash new kernels into boot partition automatically?

Leave a comment:

• archsway
    replied

Wow, thanks! I assume usual Chromebook warning about Developer mode will stay there as it's come from board firmware, not from OS? Is it possible to flash grub2 or uboot into kernel partition, to get more regular boot flow?

Also, in your opinion, is special .config could be necessary? I tested Linux 5.8 and 5.9 on Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS and with generic aarch64 config I getting black screen as soon as adreno is supposed to initialize, but with this config it just works.
    Yes, the Developer Mode warning is from the Depthcharge bootloader.
    I haven't heard of anyone chain-loading bootloaders from aarch64 coreboot, and at least grub doesn't support booting from coreboot on aarch64. A few people replace coreboot with u-boot completely, but u-boot doesn't seem to support the Duet yet.

If you manage to compile coreboot yourself you can try to remove the developer mode screen and shorten the boot timeout, but then if you end up with a broken bootloader you will need to use a special debugging cable or open the case and use an external flash programmer to revert the firmware.

You can at least use `sudo crossystem dev_default_boot=usb` to boot to external media by default after the 30-second timeout.

A standard distro kernel is likely to work, but may be missing some features such as the sound driver. You can try asking bbrezillon on the Freenode IRC channel #panfrost for the specific config he used.

The commands to pack a kernel partition from the zImage can be found in the PKGBUILD for the ArchLinuxARM kernel package.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied

It looks like Linux 5.9 will have upstream support for the Duet -- at least the device tree file for it is there.

At least for ArchLinuxARM, you should be able to follow the instructions for this aarch64 chromebook, but substituting in the correct developer mode sequence, and chrooting in and installing "linux-aarch64-rc-chromebook" before flashing the kernel.
    Wow, thanks! I assume usual Chromebook warning about Developer mode will stay there as it's come from board firmware, not from OS? Is it possible to flash grub2 or uboot into kernel partition, to get more regular boot flow?

Also, in your opinion, is special .config could be necessary? I tested Linux 5.8 and 5.9 on Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS and with generic aarch64 config I getting black screen as soon as adreno is supposed to initialize, but with this config it just works.
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 02 October 2020, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• archsway
    replied
    How they installed Linux on Lenovo Duet Chromebook? There is zero manuals regarding this topic - no info on how to boot from USB, no .config, no patches, no firmwares, nothing. Of course, half of this is available in ChromiumOS git repository, but I have no idea how to navigate this.
    It looks like Linux 5.9 will have upstream support for the Duet -- at least the device tree file for it is there.

At least for ArchLinuxARM, you should be able to follow the instructions for this aarch64 chromebook, but substituting in the correct developer mode sequence, and chrooting in and installing "linux-aarch64-rc-chromebook" before flashing the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    How they installed Linux on Lenovo Duet Chromebook? There is zero manuals regarding this topic - no info on how to boot from USB, no .config, no patches, no firmwares, nothing. Of course, half of this is available in ChromiumOS git repository, but I have no idea how to navigate this.
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 29 September 2020, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mali G72 Now Supported By Open-Source Panfrost Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Mali G72 Now Supported By Open-Source Panfrost Gallium3D Driver

The open-source Panfrost graphics driver, which is now backed/supported by Arm after starting as a reverse-engineering effort, has picked up support for the Mali G72 GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X