Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoltenVK 1.1 Update Brings Big Improvements For Vulkan On macOS

Phoronix: MoltenVK 1.1 Update Brings Big Improvements For Vulkan On macOS

MoltenVK 1.1 is out as a big update for this graphics translation layer for getting the Vulkan API running on macOS and iOS devices by translating calls to Apple's Metal API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how long until some company makes a macOS exclusive Metal program which will inspire some Linux enthusiast to come up with MLVK. Seems like everything else has a "to Vulkan" converter these days.

Comment

We now only need a Vulkan to DX12 converter for X-Box games, just to make Vulkan the one and only true standard.
      And then we need to test how many rounds of VKDX - DXVK we can do before we are out of stack.

Comment

I wonder how long until some company makes a macOS exclusive Metal program which will inspire some Linux enthusiast to come up with MLVK.
        You mean a 3D heavy application which is Apple exclusive, and everybody wants it badly? I guess you have to wait like a hundred years for this to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          We now only need a Vulkan to DX12 converter for X-Box games, just to make Vulkan the one and only true standard.
          And then we need to test how many rounds of VKDX - DXVK we can do before we are out of stack.
          Something like gfx-rs?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Something like gfx-rs?
            As I understand it, gfx-rs is an abstraction layer for rust, in my book, any engine is an abstraction layer.
            We don't want abstraction. We want full fledged vulkan. That's an ABI.
            MoltenVK is a vulkan driver for metal. And DXVK is a DX driver for vulkan.
            What we want is everybody to use vulkan, so vulkan will be the native driver for any card.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
              As I understand it, gfx-rs is an abstraction layer for rust, in my book, any engine is an abstraction layer.
              We don't want abstraction. We want full fledged vulkan. That's an ABI.
              MoltenVK is a vulkan driver for metal. And DXVK is a DX driver for vulkan.
              What we want is everybody to use vulkan, so vulkan will be the native driver for any card.
              gfx-portability is the one.
              It seem to be running but the project doesn’t look very active these days.

Comment

Working...
              X