Arm Is Now Backing Panfrost Gallium3D As Open-Source Mali Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Is Now Backing Panfrost Gallium3D As Open-Source Mali Graphics Driver

Phoronix: Arm Is Now Backing Panfrost Gallium3D As Open-Source Mali Graphics Driver

Most information presented during the annual X.Org Developers' Conference doesn't tend to be very surprising or ushering in breaking news, but during today's XDC2020 it was subtly dropped that Arm Holdings appears to now be backing the open-source Panfrost Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to hear that Arm is starting to support Panfrost but I wonder if Nvidia will put a stop to this in short order (and perhaps put a stop to Mali hardware overall).

Comment

Nvidia buys ARM, stops supporting open driver, pushes non upstreamable blob and CUDA... I hope not, but I totally expect them to screw things up.

Comment

There is any RPi competitor compatible with this driver?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          odroid c4/n2 for example

Comment

So is it preparing for nvidia gpu for ARM devices ?
            so the whole mali gpus will be obsolete(long term) in ARM portfolio
            Samsung are moving to AMD GPUS in high end phones
            so maybe AMD will provide GPUs for arm devices too

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Rockchip's rk3399 boards work well with it. I have RockPro64 and have 3D graphics (that is slowly getting better and better). In addition my rockpro64 runs 100% on free open source code (without any blobs at all), starting from early stage bootloader that initializes RAM, ARM TF-A, U-boot, Linux-libre kernel, etc...

Comment

I imagine this has been in the works since some good time before the acquisition. What Nvidia does with it going forward. Well... OSS Friends don't let OSS friends buy Nvidia!

Comment

Speaking of ARM and GPUs, wtf happened to ASTC? Is texture compression just not interesting on the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    Speaking of ARM and GPUs, wtf happened to ASTC? Is texture compression just not interesting on the desktop?
                    Desktop GPUs already have plenty of texture compression options. ASTC is mostly noteworthy for being extremely flexible - but desktop apps don't really need that, and there's not much point in making the hardware more expensive/complicated for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X