Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.2 Aiming For Release Next Week As Big Advancement For Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tvashtar View Post
    We'll see how it goes, setting ACO as the default for RADV made it extra buggy
    There's nothing buggy in ACO. At least on my hardware.

Comment

I think for me it was around 2008 where I stopped caring about Windows. I have been trying Linux since someone gave me RedHat 6.0 install cd's. Apparently the first ones with an installer. I have been using Linux often from about 2001, I think.
      I had to setup a printer for a windows 10 laptop last year, and wondered why it didn't just automatically work, had to download 280MB of "drivers" that annoy you with flashy animations before it worked.
      It's almost like Linux made me lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
        Nothing for lima or panfrost?
        Lima has little space for improvements due to limitations of hardware. It already works fine in projects like LibreELEC. Panfrost has a lot of activity but there is still much to do.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          I think for me it was around 2008 where I stopped caring about Windows. I have been trying Linux since someone gave me RedHat 6.0 install cd's. Apparently the first ones with an installer. I have been using Linux often from about 2001, I think.
          I had to setup a printer for a windows 10 laptop last year, and wondered why it didn't just automatically work, had to download 280MB of "drivers" that annoy you with flashy animations before it worked.
          It's almost like Linux made me lazy.
          Printers, yes, but also PS3 controllers.

On Windows 10 for a PS3 controller you have to get on a search engine, do some research, and then download some 3rd party tool that "works" "well enough"...and that's both for wired and wireless. On Linux wired just works by default and we have to install the bluez-util package (or whatever your distro calls it) for wireless and then two major desktops have built-in controller configuration tools.

Comment

Been running Linux as my primary on and off again since probably around 1999 and the really early versions of Mandrake! I remember building my very first computer, a dual P3 1Ghz machine and spending every last bit of coin on the hardware then finding out I could not afford the copy of Windows 2000 needed to run on it (due to the dual CPUs). Ended up in staples buying a boxed set of Mandrake discs for something like 20$.

Linux has come so incredibly far since then. Its been my primary OS for the last 4 years or so, these days even the majority of my gaming is done on Linux. The last outstanding weakness I cant seem to overcome on it is SolidWorks and Revit. I keep a VM with GPU passthrough around for those when I need them.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Meh, it's all relative. I've been running Linux as my primary desktop system since 1997. Slackware 3.2 on a *dual* Pentium 133 Mhz board, Matrox PCI graphics, 3DFX voodoo. First FVWM, then the newly released WindowMaker, and Enlightenment were my WM's of choice. Id Software released Linux binaries for GLquake that used the 3DFX board, it was awesome. StarOffice 4.0 allowed me to read/write the MS Office file formats for my university coursework. XMMS and RealPlayer provided many enjoyable hours of MP3 and streaming, plus it was the Napster heyday. 1997 was a really great year to make the switch to Linux.
              I think OpenOffice has been like 99.99% backwards compatible since 1.0. That's almost 20 years. Meanwhile every new MS Office version changes the formats so that nothing works, neither binary or ooxml files. People always complain how they can't switch from Windows since it would breaks all office documents, among other issues. Well, never happened since I made a full transition to OO.org 18 years ago (from Windows 98, barely touched XP).

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Meh, it's all relative. I've been running Linux as my primary desktop system since 1997. Slackware 3.2 on a *dual* Pentium 133 Mhz board, Matrox PCI graphics, 3DFX voodoo. First FVWM, then the newly released WindowMaker, and Enlightenment were my WM's of choice. Id Software released Linux binaries for GLquake that used the 3DFX board, it was awesome. StarOffice 4.0 allowed me to read/write the MS Office file formats for my university coursework. XMMS and RealPlayer provided many enjoyable hours of MP3 and streaming, plus it was the Napster heyday. 1997 was a really great year to make the switch to Linux.
                1992/1993

(S.u.S.E / SLS ( Slack)) --- first on floppy disks

ol(v)wm (SUN, self compiled) and then KDE from the beginning...

NCSA Mosaic / Netscape?!

Comment

Originally posted by mcoffin View Post

Do you have any specific instances? This was my assumption too, but I switched over a few months ago to test, and I haven't found a single thing that worked with LLVM RADV that doesn't work in ACO (yet). Shader runtime performance has been pretty much the same, but the shader compile time difference is actually noticeable on the first run-through.
                  check RPCS3 with ACO enabled, there's issue opened already and forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                  X