X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
    Welp - it was only a matter of time before Linux went for game specific fixes too
    Mesa has been doing this for years.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Shevchen I always felt that driver job is to offer basic functionality for API implementations, and correct and optimized ways of dealing with those calls or whatever is involved there.
    Game developers on the other hand have only one task = to create playable game. In doing so, they specify minimum and recommended requirements for their software. Their failure to do so properly really speaks volumes about lazyness or lack of commitment for that basic task in profit-driven competitive market. Still, I get surprised by some developers (not going to name here to avoid "marketing") who actually do not fail at that task, I was pleasantly surprised by one game that got out few months ago, even on "potato hardware" with their "auto" quality settings (with user preferable min/max FPS) at 1080p it was a non-issue to make it run at 60FPS locked.
    To make things even worse for other developers (who spectacularly fail at this task), in this game, developers actually can't predict "level design", making their optimizations so much harder to do, simply because game relies on "user level design" that can be vastly different in graphic intensity.
    So yeah, game-specific optimizations should not be a thing to begin with, and they are there only because game developers fail to do their job, or at least one part of it.

Leave a comment:

• Shevchen
    replied
    Welp - it was only a matter of time before Linux went for game specific fixes too - we had a long discussion about this topic a couple of months ago. But as games are not created equal, nor are they under code revision from the community, this is the only way to get them "fixed". I think its a lesser evil and while some of us may not like it, the game devs will never "fix" it for "a couple of Linux users". Lets hope Linux gaming gains some wind in the future so that those issues stay minimal.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Fixes are good news. My 5500XT has been rather stable for about 4 months with only one crash possibly related to the drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Mesa 20.1.6 Released With Several Radeon Vulkan Driver Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1.6 Released With Several Radeon Vulkan Driver Fixes

While the feature rich Mesa 20.2 should be christened as stable within the next couple of weeks, Mesa 20.1.6 is out today as for what is now the newest bi-weekly stable point release for this collection of open-source OpenGL/Vulkan drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X