No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

It landed sooner than anticipated but the LLVMpipe patches enabling OpenGL 4.5 support were merged to Mesa 20.3-devel today and are also marked for back-porting to the Mesa 20.2 series soon to be promoted to stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the override to force software rendering to test this out?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      What's the override to force software rendering to test this out?
      Code:
      MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=llvmpipe
      Same works for zink:
      Code:
      MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink

Comment

I have wondered idly if video outputs will begin appearing on server boards. With the increasing computational power of the new many-core CPUs, and software like this and Zink, it seems you could now reasonably do low-intensity or infrequent video with no GPU at all if you wished.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          I have wondered idly if video outputs will begin appearing on server boards. With the increasing computational power of the new many-core CPUs, and software like this and Zink, it seems you could now reasonably do low-intensity or infrequent video with no GPU at all if you wished.
          You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a ancient Matrox GPU model is the weapon of choice for a lot of server boards. Its Linux kernel driver was even updated a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there.
            you also need monitor to get signal into. there are usb videocards and there are usb or wifi-connectable monitors

Comment

llvmpipe already pushed r600 out of top 5
              and it's catching up with nvc0

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a ancient Matrox GPU model is the weapon of choice for a lot of server boards. Its Linux kernel driver was even updated a couple months ago.
                Keep in mins that most servers are usually accessed remotely via ipmi / iDrac / ILO, so getting the signal out is rarely a problem...
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X