No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.5 Now Enabled For LLVMpipe With Mesa 20.3, To Be Back-Ported For 20.2

It landed sooner than anticipated but the LLVMpipe patches enabling OpenGL 4.5 support were merged to Mesa 20.3-devel today and are also marked for back-porting to the Mesa 20.2 series soon to be promoted to stable...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...LLVMpipe-Lands

What's the override to force software rendering to test this out?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      What's the override to force software rendering to test this out?
      Code:
      MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=llvmpipe
      Same works for zink:
      Code:
      MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink

Comment

I have wondered idly if video outputs will begin appearing on server boards. With the increasing computational power of the new many-core CPUs, and software like this and Zink, it seems you could now reasonably do low-intensity or infrequent video with no GPU at all if you wished.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          I have wondered idly if video outputs will begin appearing on server boards. With the increasing computational power of the new many-core CPUs, and software like this and Zink, it seems you could now reasonably do low-intensity or infrequent video with no GPU at all if you wished.
          You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a ancient Matrox GPU model is the weapon of choice for a lot of server boards. Its Linux kernel driver was even updated a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there.
            you also need monitor to get signal into. there are usb videocards and there are usb or wifi-connectable monitors

Comment

llvmpipe already pushed r600 out of top 5
              and it's catching up with nvc0

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

You still need a way to get the signal out, so a chip has to be there. If I'm not mistaken, a ancient Matrox GPU model is the weapon of choice for a lot of server boards. Its Linux kernel driver was even updated a couple months ago.
                Keep in mins that most servers are usually accessed remotely via ipmi / iDrac / ILO, so getting the signal out is rarely a problem...
                Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F32, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.1.
                Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F32, Dell U2711.
                Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F32.

Comment

Working...
                X