No announcement yet.

Progress Being Made On OpenCL+OpenGL Over Direct3D 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But why? There's no meaning in this project at all... Why run it on D3D12 when they could just run it normally?...

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

No, really no. D3D12 needs no revival. It will dominate the AAA industry next gen.
    That's what they said 6 generations ago

Comment

No, really no. D3D12 needs no revival. It will dominate the AAA industry next gen.
      How it can dominate gaming industry when it will be limited to one platform, just like former DirectX versions? Will Sony and Nintendo start using D3D12?

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Just not willing to, I guess.

Now I just hope they don't go the Apple way and deprecate/remove OpenGL...
      OpenGL was deprecated on Windows long time ago. It's working now because, unlike macOS, Windows allows graphics drivers to provide their own implementation. They probably won't remove this feature because this would break some things. OpenGL and Vulkan will be fine on desktop Windows.

To be honest I don't consider such layer as bad thing. First - Windows drivers are mostly focused on DirectX so implementing OpenGL on top of DX12 can be useful. Also it would allow OpenGL games to run on Xbox (and MS Store games) which is limited to DX12. I also hope Zink (Mesa OpenGL on Vulkan implementation) will succeed as well because it would help reduce differences between OpenGL implementations and make implementing OpenGL on new drivers easier because Vulkan driver is less complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Now I just hope they don't go the Apple way and deprecate/remove OpenGL...
        Nah, one of the reasons Windows retained its popularity even through ME, Visa, and 8 were because of compatibility. People will prefer an inferior experience if it means they get to run whatever they want. Mac OS, meanwhile, was never known for long-term backward compatibility, and Apple seems fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Is there some reason they can't just use the Windows OGL+OCL drivers? I feel I must be misunderstanding something here because it seems a little too unnecessary.
          It might be useful for people using AMD on Windows as their OGL drivers aren't that great.

Comment

This is true unfortunately. I was quite disappointed to see CP2077 is to have DX12 exclusivity and no Vulkan support, also no generic ray tracing support but exclusive RTX features..

Exclusivity really hurts Linux and Vulkan! MS and NVIDIA are pouring money into getting DX12 and RTX support, while Vulkan and standardize ray tracing features need to fend for themselves without the help of deep pockets! This actually also really hurts AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

This is true unfortunately. I was quite disappointed to see CP2077 is to have DX12 exclusivity and no Vulkan support, also no generic ray tracing support but exclusive RTX features..

Exclusivity really hurts Linux and Vulkan! MS and NVIDIA are pouring money into getting DX12 and RTX support, while Vulkan and standardize ray tracing features need to fend for themselves without the help of deep pockets! This actually also really hurts AMD!
              All of the big engines support Vulkan.
              Android + iOS + Playstation + Nintendo are WAY more important than the Windows + XBox gaming market. At least internationally. The story might be different in the US since XBox is not a non-factor there.

So even if the PC Version of CP2077 is DX12 only (MS and NVidia probably paid big money), the engine still supports Vulkan.
              Im pretty sure Vulkan will be the primary developement target, since only very few titles are Windows/Xbox-exklusive.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Nvidia themselves added Vulkan RTX extensions before support arrived to DX12.... So idk why you bring Nvidia here, Nvidia supports raytracing via Vulkan, GLSL and DX12. Early raytracing was nvidia only, but both Vulkan and DX12 have extensions that are not nvidia only.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Really? I thought those days of writing non-portable win-games were behind us?
                  Why? Gaming industry (mostly) doesn't care about FOSS. They want money, and windows is an established platform.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Why? Gaming industry (mostly) doesn't care about FOSS. They want money, and windows is an established platform.
                    It's not about FOSS, it's about the number of supported platforms. If you go for DX12-only, then you can only sell your game for Windows and Xbox. When you go for Vulkan, you can sell your game for Android, PC, Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox (?) and even iOS, if you use wrappers. Much bigger market = more money.

The situation was different, when the Windows-gaming-market was much bigger (relatively speaking) and OpenGL sucked in comparison to DirectX (in terms of drivers and development-burden) ...
                    Last edited by kuco; 10 July 2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

D3D12 needs no revival. It will dominate the AAA industry next gen.
                      First heard: 3 gens ago

Comment

Working...
                      X