Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

Phoronix: Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

As we have been expecting, as of a few minutes ago in Mesa 20.2-devel Git, the Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver has enabled the Valve-backed ACO shader compiler by default rather than AMD's official AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am confused... wasn't the AMDGPU (OpenGL) + RADV (Vulkan) not the default, community driven and the AMDVLK the AMD driven vulkan drivers..?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      I am confused... wasn't the AMDGPU (OpenGL) + RADV (Vulkan) not the default, community driven and the AMDVLK the AMD driven vulkan drivers..?
      AMDGPU is the kernel driver.

For OpenGL you have:
      - AMDGPU-PRO (Closed driver, AMD official)
      - RadeonSI (Mesa open source driver, AMD official)

For Vulkan you have:
      - AMDVLK (Open source driver, AMD official)
      - RADV (Mesa open source driver, unofficial driver developed by third party (Valve, Google, Red Hat))

Comment

Originally posted by hakzsam View Post

AMDGPU is the kernel driver.

For OpenGL you have:
        - RadeonSI (Mesa open source driver, AMD official)

For Vulkan you have:
        - AMDVLK (Open source driver, AMD official)
        - RADV (Mesa open source driver, unofficial driver developed by third party (Valve, Google, Red Hat))
        For RADV you have backends (compilers)
        - LLVM (AMD official)
        - ACO (community)

Previously for all above LLVM was default backend, now for RADV it's ACO

Comment

Great news. Now crossing fingers for ACO on radeonsi.

Comment

I really welcome that ACO is finally enabled by default! I use almost since its first release and it always worked better for me than LLVM

Comment

I'm willing to look like an idiot. Isn't AMDGPU just the open source parts of AMDGPU-pro? I am working on my GL composited KDE desktop and don't have ether a GL or Vulkan driver loaded. What I do have loaded is AMDGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I'm willing to look like an idiot. Isn't AMDGPU just the open source parts of AMDGPU-pro? I am working on my GL composited KDE desktop and don't have ether a GL or Vulkan driver loaded. What I do have loaded is AMDGPU.
                amdgpu is the open source kernel driver. It's upstream and included in our packaged drivers. Same driver is both places. The packaged drivers contain both an open source base (amdgpu kernel driver with dkms support and mesa radeonsi GL and mesa multimedia) along with add on drivers for closed source components for workstation (closed source GL and CL). If you don't need the closed source add ons you can just you the open base if you want to use packaged drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

amdgpu is the open source kernel driver. It's upstream and included in our packaged drivers. Same driver is both places. The packaged drivers contain both an open source base (amdgpu kernel driver with dkms support and mesa radeonsi GL and mesa multimedia) along with add on drivers for closed source components for workstation (closed source GL and CL). If you don't need the closed source add ons you can just you the open base if you want to use packaged drivers.
                  Is there anyway we can run closed source OGL driver along side the Mesa OGL driver? I always get to a point that I can get information of the driver in glxinfo but whenever I try to run a an app (like glxgears) I'll get artifacts, crashes or a system hang. The only think I never tried to install is the dkms component of amdgpu-pro, but I would expect that getting the latest kernel (or next drm) it should work fine... am I missing something?

Comment

can we port ACO to the old intel driver ?

Comment

Working...
                    X