Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

    Phoronix: Mesa 20.2 RADV Driver Flips On ACO By Default For Quicker Game Load Times, Better Performance

    As we have been expecting, as of a few minutes ago in Mesa 20.2-devel Git, the Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver has enabled the Valve-backed ACO shader compiler by default rather than AMD's official AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler back-end...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...DV-ACO-Enabled

  • #2
    I am confused... wasn't the AMDGPU (OpenGL) + RADV (Vulkan) not the default, community driven and the AMDVLK the AMD driven vulkan drivers..?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      I am confused... wasn't the AMDGPU (OpenGL) + RADV (Vulkan) not the default, community driven and the AMDVLK the AMD driven vulkan drivers..?
      AMDGPU is the kernel driver.

      For OpenGL you have:
      - AMDGPU-PRO (Closed driver, AMD official)
      - RadeonSI (Mesa open source driver, AMD official)

      For Vulkan you have:
      - AMDGPU-PRO (Closed driver, AMD official)
      - AMDVLK (Open source driver, AMD official)
      - RADV (Mesa open source driver, unofficial driver developed by third party (Valve, Google, Red Hat))

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hakzsam View Post

        AMDGPU is the kernel driver.

        For OpenGL you have:
        - AMDGPU-PRO (Closed driver, AMD official)
        - RadeonSI (Mesa open source driver, AMD official)

        For Vulkan you have:
        - AMDGPU-PRO (Closed driver, AMD official)
        - AMDVLK (Open source driver, AMD official)
        - RADV (Mesa open source driver, unofficial driver developed by third party (Valve, Google, Red Hat))
        For RADV you have backends (compilers)
        - LLVM (AMD official)
        - ACO (community)

        Previously for all above LLVM was default backend, now for RADV it's ACO

        Comment


        • #5
          Great news. Now crossing fingers for ACO on radeonsi.

          Comment


          • #6
            I really welcome that ACO is finally enabled by default! I use almost since its first release and it always worked better for me than LLVM

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm willing to look like an idiot. Isn't AMDGPU just the open source parts of AMDGPU-pro? I am working on my GL composited KDE desktop and don't have ether a GL or Vulkan driver loaded. What I do have loaded is AMDGPU.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I'm willing to look like an idiot. Isn't AMDGPU just the open source parts of AMDGPU-pro? I am working on my GL composited KDE desktop and don't have ether a GL or Vulkan driver loaded. What I do have loaded is AMDGPU.
                amdgpu is the open source kernel driver. It's upstream and included in our packaged drivers. Same driver is both places. The packaged drivers contain both an open source base (amdgpu kernel driver with dkms support and mesa radeonsi GL and mesa multimedia) along with add on drivers for closed source components for workstation (closed source GL and CL). If you don't need the closed source add ons you can just you the open base if you want to use packaged drivers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by agd5f View Post

                  amdgpu is the open source kernel driver. It's upstream and included in our packaged drivers. Same driver is both places. The packaged drivers contain both an open source base (amdgpu kernel driver with dkms support and mesa radeonsi GL and mesa multimedia) along with add on drivers for closed source components for workstation (closed source GL and CL). If you don't need the closed source add ons you can just you the open base if you want to use packaged drivers.
                  Is there anyway we can run closed source OGL driver along side the Mesa OGL driver? I always get to a point that I can get information of the driver in glxinfo but whenever I try to run a an app (like glxgears) I'll get artifacts, crashes or a system hang. The only think I never tried to install is the dkms component of amdgpu-pro, but I would expect that getting the latest kernel (or next drm) it should work fine... am I missing something?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    can we port ACO to the old intel driver ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X