Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vipor29 View Post
    there is new people at microsoft that do believe that open source is the future and people find it very hard to believe which is understandable.this is huge and people don't see it.this is not gates or ballmer anymore.
    The only thing that's changed at Microsoft is how much overt evil they can get away with. They'd go back to '90s mode if they could.

In some regards they're now much worse. Windows 10 is literally just malware with a EULA.
    Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 19 May 2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

So now game studios can target Linux (or Stadia) and get windows for free?

Comment

You know, the only thing that really, really bugs me is this. Their are several projects out their right now that have spent a ton of time and effort with something like this, only to get stonewalled. I am not sure that this remotely escapes a WSL environment on top of the fact that, this steps on some toes here. Seems like an Nvidia styled play, the community does one thing, builds the consensus on doing said one thing and Nvidia go off in a corner doing the other.

Which makes me wonder....

Comment

This is an attack on Vulkan, and devs need to use common sense, and hold strong on the most cross-platform API ONLY. DX12 needs to die.

Comment

I think they should go for a mesa frontend if they want to get rid of the translation layers to Vulkan. won't happen

Comment

Why not just expose a vulkan interface, and maybe OpenGL if you're desperate? DX12 is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                I hope for the imminent Linux Microsoft operating system so to switch to Windows again. Microsoft has a much better development team so to realize an excellent Linux operating system.
                A much better development team than what? A bunch of Orks? Microsoft developer teams are nothing to be proud of judging from their security track record.

Comment

If W10 already supports Opengl and Vulkan, why do they want it to go through Dx12 and why not just directly access vk and gl implementations aready present in w10?

I understand why for osx something like moltenvk exist, but why to do the same for w10 and dx12 when there is no need for it?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                    If W10 already supports Opengl and Vulkan, why do they want it to go through Dx12 and why not just directly access vk and gl implementations aready present in w10?

I understand why for osx something like moltenvk exist, but why to do the same for w10 and dx12 when there is no need for it?
                    Because they are not officially supported by Microsoft, They are supported by Hardware manufacturers.
                    Microsoft supports only DirectX.

Comment

The fact that you're still talking about the halloween documents is absolutely ridiculous.
                      What is there to extinguish in the Linux desktop?
                      No one cares in the first place!

I read these posts and don't know if we live in the same world...

Comment

Working...
                      X